Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-One Z5M27AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this 27" Envy in 2018 at the Microsoft store, but I have never seen so many Blue Screens in my life lately!  Completed sfc /scannow , dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth , then re-installed windows 10 in place.  Re-installed only a dozen widely used apps.  Then in device manager I went from device after device, updating the driver for every single one. 

The system seems more stable, but there are 2 drivers in device manager under cameras

HP High Definition 1 MB Webcam

HP IR Camera

if both are enabled, the webcam doesn't work.  If I disable HP IR camera, the webcam works using windows built in camera app- but signon via face stops working.  Both drivers are from realtek dated 2019.  Any advice here?  I'd like to re-enable facial recognition login.  Thanks in advance everyone.  John

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

nvm. see my other post. 😂

HP Recommended

Sometimes applications so multiple capture devices, and you can choice. See if you have that option.

You used to be able to select default devices in the control panel, but Microsoft seem to be trying to bury that in Windows 10, so it may help in some applications but not in others.

You could try this driver directly from HP to see if that fixes your issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying.  But I installed that- now there is only one device under cameras in device manager- and now the camera won't work- it lights up for a second then goes black with error  <MediaCaptureFailedEvent>

oh and, another blue screen  immediatly prior "Stop code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT"

This very expensive, relatively new PC, has been the sickest computer I've every had.  Bad hardware?  SSD?  RAM?  It throws a BSOD every week- so sending it in would take a long time.  I'll replace anything or reinstall anything just to get it, and the camera reliable again?  John

HP Recommended

HP envy system description.JPG

HP Recommended

Edit: Try reinstalling the computer and see if the camera works. If not, try the following

Try opening Device Manager, right click the camera and a click uninstall device.

One it’s done, restart your computer and try installing the driver again. After install, restart your PC then test the camera again.

HP Recommended

tried that.  got to see 3 new blue screens!  I've seen them all by now

system thread exception not handled

quota underflow

I ran windows memory diagnostic - "Your computer has a memory problem"

so bad RAM?  

HP Recommended

HP envy system description.JPG

HP Recommended

Normally when I see a BSOD, I instinctively assume it’s problem with bad drivers or malicious software and would recommend a fresh install of Windows.

Since your install is very fresh, I am inclined to blame the hardware, so bad RAM is a possibility, especially if it’s failing RAM testing diagnostics.

If it’s in warranty,  you could ring HP support on Monday and arrange a return/repair.

Hail Mary: Try resetting BIOS settings to default. (You never know these days since we have XMP and whatnot)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.