Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15z-cw100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

I broke my laptops screen awhile back so I got a monitor to use for it but accidentally disabled the monitor while trying to disable some other drivers. So I was wondering if there is any way to re enable the monitor?

NEW INFORMATION - it's not the monitor itself it's the HDMI cable, in the device manager I went under display adapters and disabled the one that appeared which was my monitor, I tried with my brothers monitor still nothing, the monitor works for him but not for me, so I apparently disabled the HDMI drive thing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a way

Facebook video call, share screen to other person (or use another device of yours for call)

I had to do it blind and use tab alot but it worked

Hopefully this helps others also

And thanks for everyone that tried to help

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You might try the following which will be done blind so you have to guess

1 - need to log into windows.  If using pin it is easy, just put in the PIN else username and password.  Listen for the windows "tada" to verify login.  Hopefully sound is not disabled.

2 - Press the windows key + P to bring up the external monitor popup (see below).  The default will be "PC Screen only" so press the down cursor key and then the enter key to select "duplicate"

BeemerBiker_0-1651840336765.png

Once you get the second monitor working then enable remote desktop to allow remote login.  If you have windows home then RDP is not support so download and install realvnc

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/

Disassembly of 15z https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgWg07-eTdI

look for part number of display*** and a name such as LG or Samsung.  They are made in Asia so contact a vendor and see if they have a replacement touch screen

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20220506044323&SearchText=15z+hp+touch...

HP part number for screen is probably one of the following (about 6 are listed)

https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer/?searchtext=5MU48AV&searchby=product

***Confirm the part number after the disassembly then get a price here

https://parts.hp.com/hppartsIGSO/Default.aspx?mscssid=

or search aliexpress with the hp part number

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

That didn't work, I accidentally disabled the monitor from the device manager, so the monitor doesn't work for the computer at all basically doesn't recognize it exists

HP Recommended

NEW INFORMATION - it's not the monitor itself it's the HDMI cable, in the device manager I went under display adapters and disabled the one that appeared which was my monitor, I tried with my brothers monitor still nothing, the monitor works for him but not for me, so I apparently disabled the HDMI drive thing

HP Recommended

@Firecreeper90 wrote:

That didn't work, I accidentally disabled the monitor from the device manager, so the monitor doesn't work for the computer at all basically doesn't recognize it exists

if that was all you did, windows would reinstall the monitor on the next reboot.

can you log into windows successfully?

Was your system windows professional or the home version?

HP Recommended

I rebooted my computer alot trying to figure out ways I can do it. It never worked

HP Recommended

If you reboot 3 or more times without logging into windows, that is a cue for the system to enter the bios setup. 

If you are in the BIOS setup then you can exit by  pressing F10 and the enter key..  You can watch the LED to see if it blinks indicating the hard drive is attempting to boot windows.  If your brother has a similar system bring up the bios setup and see what it takes to get out of the bios so it can attempt to boot windows.

There are still a number of things that could be done to salvage the system. 

If your brother had an identical or even a similar system he can enable remote desktop and, in addition, configure to boot into windows bypassing the username or pin login (lookup netplwiz)  then he can clone his hard drive to cheap small SSD in a USB adapter.  You then replace your hard drive with the cloned SSD and access using remote desktop or VNC**.

Some other possibilities:  After powering up, the system has asked such as "Press F1 to continue".  So try pressing F1 after powering up and see if the hard drive LED lights blink.  Possibly the F1 goes into the BIOS setup so press F10 and enter to exit.  You will have to guess.

**VNC will require confirmation the first time it runs.  Same for Splashtop.  Microsoft RDP does not required confirmation but will not work on windows home.   Your brother would have to boot the new SSD, make a connection using a 3rd computer or smartphone,, confirm the connection, then put the SSD in your broken system.

Best is to setup autologin using netplwiz and try the external monitor..  Once you get it working then configure VNC, Splashtop or Windows remote desktop 

HP Recommended

I tried the first part it didn't work. And the second part i don't really understand to easily.

HP Recommended

I found a way

Facebook video call, share screen to other person (or use another device of yours for call)

I had to do it blind and use tab alot but it worked

Hopefully this helps others also

And thanks for everyone that tried to help

HP Recommended

Congratulations!!!

I did not know Facebook had that mechanism.

You might want to setup autologin and install a remote desktop app such as Splashtop

If you need help with either post back here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.