Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-b010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After BIOS update to F.34 Rev A on HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-b010 :

I am seeing a Critical Error on windows startup -AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup.

I have checked BIOS setting and it is enabled for software control.

What is going on??

Help

Rew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's working again, that's good.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet by reinstalling Windows.

Regards

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Questions:

1. Do you see the Intel SGX Service and what state exists for this service (Automatic, Manual, or Disabled) in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services?

2. Do you see this software in Control Panel, Programs and Features?

Your CPU supports SGX but the Windows SGX software would also have to be installed.

I don't see this software download option at your PC's Support site (Link).

You may have to contact HP Support (Link) unless a different forum member knows what's happening.

You could use msconfig, Services tab to deselect this service (if it exists) at system startup. This is not a fix but a possible workaround.

You could try disabling SGX in the BIOS, again a workaround.

It is possible the previous BIOS did not have an SGX option. Maybe HP will release SGX Windows software or a new version of IMEI which includes this function.

Regards

HP Recommended

WOW, did not consider that this software drivers was not part of a Windows 10 install or driver update system..

But using your suggestion I checked Services and I don't find any SGX labeled services.

But doing a search of Windows directory I did find various SGX labeled files so I'm not sure if it's installed or not.

Thanks for your reply! Doing web searches have not given much about it.

Hopefully someone from HP can reply.

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

I stand corrected using msconfig, I do see an entry for Intel SGX AESM and it is check meaning it's loaded.

So now I'm really wondering what's going on.

HP Recommended

Hi

You're very welcome.

Did you check the current status of this service in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services? Sorry, you did this.

It may be set to delayed start and be running within a few minutes after starting Windows. My system has this service on a delayed start. It is set to software controlled in the BIOS. 

This service does not exist in Administrative Tools-Services on your PC. I would think this is because the Windows SGX software is not installed.

It appears you need the Windows SGX software to get rid of the error message at startup. Try unchecking this service in msconfig. Try disabling the BIOS SGX setting.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks,

My windows version is 2004 (OS Build 19041.1) 

Did some more checking and Intel's SGX software has been installed since 02/2019 and if memory serves me the last BIOS version supported SGX services and I had no errors until after this BIOS update to V.34 on 01/06/2020.

As far as I can tell Windows uses the Intel drivers for this since it's their design.

I'v ran a check for newer SGX drivers with Intel and it seems I'm on the latest.

One more thing it does show in Services as "Intel® SGX AESM" and it also says Delayed Start.

My Event log has never had this critical error before this BIOS update.

Called HP support and since my warranty was expired, have had it since 06/2017 they wanted $99 just to talk!!!!!

I have been a long time HP user and I think this will be my last one. 

But anyway changing BIOS setting to disable brings up a lot of warnings but does alleviate the error for 1 boot cycle and then returns, seems like it's fixed at enabled. 

It's a shame when HP can't or won't take responsibility for their problems with their BIOS updates.

HP Recommended

At this point I'm thinking I will install the last BIOS v.33 since it did not have this issue.

Is there any potential problems with rolling back to the last BIOS version?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you try unchecking SGX in msconfig? I see you changed the BIOS setting but this did not work. Maybe if both settings are disabled the startup error message will go away.

You could try a BIOS rollback. Some HP BIOS updates are not reversible.

The previous versions for your PC can be downloaded at this (Link). Open Revision History, then scroll down to the bottom of the page for download options.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks again,

You are right Can't rollback to V.33 after installing V.34.

You know HP really needs to fully check these things out before releasing; When I was talking to their supposed support they claimed it was a software issue and if this is true why didn't they also issue a software update as well?????

What bothers me is if I turn it off in BIOS just to end the event errors, it appears it leaves my system security is at risk.

Not to mention their sad support options for issues they create with problem bios updates.

For over 20 year I have used and own HP systems both through work and personally and have never seen an issue  were they respond like this. They had always made things right when there was a issue with their updates.

BIOS maybe OK but if it requires a software update were is it????? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I did not realize this link is for a specific Intel product. It will probably not work. You may not want to try this.

Have you checked this Intel site (Link)? Follow the site link to download the Microsoft app if you are running W10 1709 or later.

Follow the second link to download from Intel if you are running an older W10 version.

Try it, see what happens.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.