Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The hard drive failed so I replaced it with another one.  I created a Windows 10 64-bit Recovery USB using another computer.  After pressing Esc and choosing the USB as the boot device it looks like it begins to boot but then the PC reboots.  I have enabled the legacy boot and also tried using a DVD created with the Recovery Utility with the same results.  I cannot get the WRE to load to reset the PC.

I do not have a backup of the PC before the HDD crashed. 

<UPDATE>  I have also tried creating an Windows 10 Install USB from Microsoft's website and doing a clean install of Windows 10 on the hard drive.  This USB will also not boot properly and the laptop reboots continously after it starts to boot and before I can make any choices from the install USB.  I have seen many posts here about replacing the HDD and doing a clean install in this way and have not seen any mention of this issue.  I am an old school PC person and am not familiar with the new UEFI environment and am wondering if it has something to do with the issues I am experiencing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After a couple of frustrating weeks and many different ways of trying to get Windows 10 to re-install on this computer, this is what worked for me:

I downloaded the Windows 8.1 64-bit ISO from Microsoft and burned it to DVD.

For whatever reason, this bootable installation disc worked and I was able to install Windows 8.1 on the computer.

After installing Windows 8.1 on the computer the bootable Windows 10 installation disc worked and I was able to install Windows 10 over the Windows 8.1 installation. 

I had tried formatting the new drive before when I initially had issues using the Windows 10 bootable disc but that did not make a difference.  Why having Windows 8.1 installed on the drive allowed me to install Windows 10 I do not know. 

What I did not do is spend $40 plus shipping to get a USB drive from HP to reinstall a product I already paid them for.  Why they cannot provide the ISO or a bootable USB creation utility like Microsoft does is beyond me, other than it's a revenue stream for them.  It is poor product support.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Your PC does not have a Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) to reset the PC. Create a recovery drive by following the steps from the link and check if the issue is resolved. 

Refer to the link below on Recovery options in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Write back to me with the status of the issue for further assistance. Thank you! 

HP Recommended

As I said in my original post I am trying to use a bootable USB drive and have also tried using a bootable DVD with the WRE created by the Recovery Utility in Windows on a different PC with the same operating system.

HP Recommended

Old_geekster, while I appreciate the link to the software page for this particular PC, your advice to purchase recovery media from HP when I cannot even get the Windows WRE to load from the bootable USB or DVD that was created using the Windows Recovery Utility seems like a waste of time and money.

I have tested the bootable USB and DVD on other systems and they boot just fine into the WRE.  It is only this HP laptop that keeps rebooting after getting to the HP logo screen. 

To answer your point about the HDD, it originally came with a 1TB WD HDD, I replaced it with a 2TB HDD from the same WD Blue model line as the original.  It appears to be recognizing the drive but the BIOS does not have any HDD drive options in it that I can see.  The HDD passes the HP PC Diagnostics in the BIOS just fine.  I have tried resetting the BIOS to the defaults with the same results.

To clarify,

With the USB:

Press Esc

Startup Menu, F9 Boot Options

USB Hard Drive(UEFI) - Lexar USB Flash Drive 8.07

HP Logo Screen, USB drive flashing

Reboot

Also with the USB:

Press Esc

Startup Menu, F9 Boot Options

USB Hard Drive - Lexar USB Flash Drive 8.07

HP Logo Screen, USB drive flashing

WRE logo Screen, USB drive flashing

Reboot

With the DVD:

It gets to the screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD," I press the space bar

HP logo screen

Reboot

HP Recommended

>  ... have also tried using a bootable DVD with the WRE created by the Recovery Utility in Windows on a different PC with the same operating system.

Was the "other" computer a HP computer?

I am wondering whether the software on that DVD is specific to that particular non-HP computer.

HP Recommended
I created the bootable USB and DVD on an ASUS desktop computer and it boots fine on that computer and another HP laptop that I have.
HP Recommended

> I created the bootable USB and DVD on an ASUS desktop computer and it boots fine on that computer

I would be surprised if it did not work.

> and another HP laptop that I have.

What is the model-number of that computer for which it works?

What is the model-number of the computer for which it does not work?

There must be a reason, even though we have not yet found that reason.

Have you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics on the computer for which it does not work?

HP Recommended
>What is the model-number of that computer for which it works?

HP Pavilion x360

Windows 10 (64-bit)

>What is the model-number of the computer for which it does not work?

Product Name: HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g121wm
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

>Have you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics on the computer for which it does not work?

Yes, it has a memory and HDD test, both pass.

HP Recommended

@MjrDv8 wrote:
I created the bootable USB and DVD on an ASUS desktop computer
It boots fine on that computer and another HP laptop that I have.

What processor (AMD? Intel?) does the ASUS computer have?  Model-number?

Those 2 HP computers are quite different:

HP Pavilion 11-n010dx x360 PC Product Specifications

Product Name - 11-n010dx
Product Number - F9J18UA
Microprocessor - 2.17GHz Intel Pentium N3520 Processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.42GHz
Memory - 4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)

HP Pavilion 17-g121wm Notebook PC Product Specifications

Product Name - 17-g121wm
Product Number - N9E13UA
Microprocessor - 1.8GHz up to 3.2GHz AMD Quad-Core A10-8700P APU
Memory - 8GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)

To me, there is some possibility that the software from the ASUS (whatever processor it has) will work only on ONE of the processors - either INTEL or AMD.

It could be a "booby-trap" in the ASUS software -- checking that it will install only on a computer having a member of the "correct" family of processors, to prevent inappropriate usage of licensed software.

HP Recommended

Capture.PNG

The two PCs that the recovery media works on are both Intel processors so your theory may have some merit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.