Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
27-k350xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After Windows 10 update 03/26/2020 my HP Envy aio fails to load the os. I get to the BSOD noting, Automatic Repear WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR failure.  I ran HP quick diagnostics and all passed. When attempting the recovery option the process freezes at HP Recovery screen. No progress is reported. 

I had similar problems with the November 2019 Windows 10 update, but got a black screen without any info I had to reset the Bios default in that case.

Is anyone having these problems on Windows 10 updates? Any solutions? 

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@DanaZ007

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you perform a System Recovery using the Recovery Media. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file inorder to install Windows operating system. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a System Recovery (Windows 10)

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sounds like you are suggesting. I need to restore from a down loaded recovery media. I ran all of the HP Diagnostic test for hardware and components.  All passed except the network tests. This happened back in November with the windows 10  1903 feature automatic update. But in the case I did not have blue screen I had a black screen with no error messages. So after reading solutions from various users. I attempted a suggestion to reset the bios back to the system default.  When I did this then the system rebooted and performed the automatic recovery. Would you recommend the bios reset to default for this case as it appears the updates 1903 and 1909 have similar base. 

Looks like the downloadable recovery will or my cause los of data files and programs. I don't want  to lose all my personal files or programs installed. 

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

@DanaZ007

You could try the BIOS default first and then try a Reset instead of System Recovery

This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance with this issue. I attempted booting from a WindowsISO usb  and I am still unable to get the winre recovery screen to appear.  The last attempt was with the downloadable Windows 10 ISO bootable usb. All fails or stops with the HP logo screen. If I attempt to boot from HD I get the bsod error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR without any additional information. I can enter the Startup menu with repeat of esc key and then enter the System Diagnostics. I ran all system Diagnostic and they passed. I then went to the Boot Device Options  and selected to boot from the usb Windows 10 ISO that only freezes at the HP logo screen. Also if I select to f12 "System Recovery " from the startup menu, I also get the freeze at HP logo screen.

1. How can I boot to safe mode if I can not get to Windows recovery, can I enable the Legacy Boot option with Windows 10? Would it be better to use the download from HP to boot from ?

2. Do you know if the Windows update 1909 update my BIOS?  I will attempt the BIOS reset to default to see if I get any further to the recovery.

As I stated prior, back in November 2019 windows update, I got the BSOD without any video display, I had to go thru the motions (blindly) of resetting BIOS, after I did that the monitor display was back and the windows automatic recovery performed and brought my system backup.i did not have any additional problems until this Windows 10 1909 update. I have not installed any new or updated hardware, programs or drivers.

I'll let you know if I get to the  recovery screen, after the BIOS reset. .Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@DanaZ007

Windows update will not update the BIOS. But you can try restoring the BIOS back to default and check

You will need to get to WinRE to boot to Safe Mode

Let me know how it goes after the BIOS Reset. If the issue persists then you will need to take a backup and go for the System Recovery

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

After a Windows update, my HP Envy laptop ended up in Recovery mode.  Although I can exercise many of the options, the computer will not fix itself.  Is my only option left to wipe the system and reload?

HP Recommended

@Kevin611

If you have already tried the other options like repair and it didn't work, then you need to go with the Reset

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

20200418_084558.jpg

HP ENVY 27-b150nc show need restart after automatic update from 1909 to 2004, but after install show this error and back recover to 1909. Known fix ?

HP Recommended

@EnoSat

Try running the Windows Troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.