Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy-750-160QE-CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer all of a sudden got stuck in Airplane Mode when I go to settings it will not turn off. It did this along time ago and i can't remeber how to fix it. Help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tom1953

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand Airplane Mode Stuck on
And you need assistance with the same, don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Here's a related post that seems to have helped others find a solution: Click here

And a few methods of solving the issue:

Method 1:

1. Press Windows key on the keyboard
  2. Click on Settings window
  3. Go to Network icon 
  4. Choose Network & Internet category.
  5. The second setting on the left column is Airplane mode.
  6. Turn it Off

Method 2: Update the drivers.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

1. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
  2. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
  3. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the printer drivers.

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. Right-click your Wireless/Wi-Fi devices.
  4. Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.

Restart the computer and check.

Method 3: Check in compatibility mode.

Download the  Wireless/Wi-Fi drivers from your computer manufacture website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows (Steps applies to Windows 10)

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@Tom1953

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand Airplane Mode Stuck on
And you need assistance with the same, don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Here's a related post that seems to have helped others find a solution: Click here

And a few methods of solving the issue:

Method 1:

1. Press Windows key on the keyboard
  2. Click on Settings window
  3. Go to Network icon 
  4. Choose Network & Internet category.
  5. The second setting on the left column is Airplane mode.
  6. Turn it Off

Method 2: Update the drivers.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

1. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
  2. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
  3. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the printer drivers.

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. Right-click your Wireless/Wi-Fi devices.
  4. Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.

Restart the computer and check.

Method 3: Check in compatibility mode.

Download the  Wireless/Wi-Fi drivers from your computer manufacture website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows (Steps applies to Windows 10)

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I tried all of those suggestions and none worked those were standard things to try the only way it stopped is after the new update was installed. I would have done that before but i thought it had been done when I rolled it back to factory reset.

HP Recommended

@Tom1953

Thank you for the update,

I'm glad it worked out for you after the update,

Please get back to us (if need be) for further assistance,

And Have a great day, Ahead,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue but even worse.  I cannot access the internet in any way, shape or form to download any new drivers for the wireless network adapter.  I don't see the wireless task bar icon that's normally in the lower right corner and even wired ethernet is blocked.  This started happening a few days ago, I'm not sure if this was because of a Windows update?  

In any case, what other recourse do I have to fix this?  The F12 key which has the wireless icon and led is orange and repeated attempts to turn off airplane mode through the control panel have failed.  I'm on an HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14 Sleekbook.  Please help!

HP Recommended

What type of O/S is it. If it is windows 10 it is quite possible you have not recieved all the updates. But if you can't get to the internet I see the issue. I assume that you have turned of your firewalls and virus software before trying to update. But short of that you may very well have to reinstall your operating system. The other thing to try would be go to device manager locate your adapters then reboot your machine and let windows reinstall them this may and I repeat may clear up the problem. Mind you I found my own solution but I researched it on more than one site to no avail before I came to the HP website. But on one these threads it said make sure you have all updates and when I put the anniversary update in it fixed itself.

HP Recommended

Yes it's Windows 10 but it was the free version Microsoft offered as a download some time back.  I'll double check the firewall and virus software to turn them off but as of right now the laptop just can't get on the internet.  I did try and delete the network drivers and let Windows re-install them but it didn't fix the issue.  The only visible thing it did was turn the little led on the F12 key from white to orange.

HP Recommended

I just had another thought are you trying to access the web through wi-fi? Did you download all updates and then the aniversary update. I know I am no technician but I am 99.9% sure this will clear up the problem. Please let me know. maybe if we beat this long enough HP will see we are killing ourselves. By the way I had this same problem on a desktop with an ethernet cable but i still believe it's the same issue. Also now that you did the update please consider going to Microsoft website doing a download of a clean Windows 10 copy all it takes is for Microsoft to see your machine and knowing it will know it's already installed and it will not require a key. makes sure you backup any of your personal pictures, doc's, music and the like. You will ne a 16gb usb drive to do it. Then you will have to boot from the USB. Now you won't have all the driver's you need and you should get those and put them on a different USB but they won't take up much space. You could even use the same media you use for backup. All the instructions on doing this are on's microsoft website. If youcan't find it let me know on this thread and I'll get you a direct link to it. Have you tried an ethernet connection? I'm willing to bet you have. One more thing before you go any farther with this mule go into settings and kill the wifi adapter disable it altogether I am sur that will get it to allow you to turn of airplane mode. Then do an ethernet connection how I described above.

HP Recommended

Alll of a sudden the computer went into airplane mode and I cannot turn it off.  I tried all of the suggestions in the forum with no luck.  The strange thing is that my internet connection is working fine, while showing the computer in airplane mode.

I lost my WIFI internal adapter last year and have had to by an external WIFI adapter for on the go.

I have a HP envy laptop with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I bought a new HP desktop. Loaded it up, it worked fine. Tried to add an additional user. I could set it up but the account would not accept the password. Contacted MS thech took over system. The system looked as if it was going into a reboot. When it restarted. Poof he was gone and now the Airplane mode is stuck on plus the sound is locked off. Contacted MS they can't seem to help. Told me to contact HP.  Why in the FLAME would a desk top have an airplane mode on it to begin with? The various devices say they are working fine. Why is there not a windows repair function on this machine that it can reload the defaults for the standard functions? With no software I am dead in the water GRRRRRRR! Po'ed. Can any one help??????  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.