Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53501-54000/sp53945.exe

I cannot open above BIOS link on windows 10 (64 bit), simply get the message that app has been blocked. 

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786H1 v01.05, 6/9/2010 (installed)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here's what I did to open the file...

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip right click on the sp53945.exe file you downloaded.

Select 7-zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp53945).

Then you will be able to access the contents of the file folder.

Since you are running W10, do not run the Windows based flash.

Click on the BIOS Flash HTML file, which provides the various methods to update the BIOS.

You want to follow the instructions under this section...

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB, legacy floppy diskette, and CD.  The BIOS CD Media file, included in this softpaq, should be used to create a BIOS image CD.  When flashing with F10 ROM based flash, the CD media must be El-Torito compatible.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC will 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here's what I did to open the file...

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip right click on the sp53945.exe file you downloaded.

Select 7-zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp53945).

Then you will be able to access the contents of the file folder.

Since you are running W10, do not run the Windows based flash.

Click on the BIOS Flash HTML file, which provides the various methods to update the BIOS.

You want to follow the instructions under this section...

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB, legacy floppy diskette, and CD.  The BIOS CD Media file, included in this softpaq, should be used to create a BIOS image CD.  When flashing with F10 ROM based flash, the CD media must be El-Torito compatible.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC will 'see' the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

You are the BEST! :). Thank you and I upgraded the BIOS to newest version.

May I ask your valuable help to an ongoing problem which I thought updating BIOS will solve it, but didn't - My external speakers and headphones cannot be heard after upgrading to Windows 10. Very frustrated indeed. I upgraded all the drivers required. Yesterday, I installed sp56816 for audio drivers but the problem remains. I tried to install sp54099 (latest audio driver for Windows 7) but computer doesn't allow me to install, simply giving me an error message saying that app has been blocked. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am very surprised you have no audio on your PC.

I have the 8000 Elite and 8200 Elite CMT's with the same Realtek audio and both running W10 x64 v2004 and the sound worked fine on both of them without the need for drivers.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if installing the W10 Realtek audio driver directly from Realtek works.

Accept the agreement.  Download and install the Windows 64 bit driver from the link below and restart the PC.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

At your direction, I installed W10 Realtek audio driver but problem remains same. So disappointed and frustrated. Do you think reinstall of HP latest driver for W7 will work? I downloaded the W7 audio driver but doesn't allow me to install. Can we use https://www.7-zip.org/ ? 

Also. if you can provide me directions, I can remove all the audio drivers (windows and realtek)  from computer and reinstall the W10 Realtek audio drive again. I checked web and it appears many got this problem after upgrading to W10.

In addition, do you have any alternate solution to fix this problem?

Thank you very much! 

HP Recommended

Hi:

If the audio was working fine prior to your upgrading to W10, the only suggestion I can offer, would be to clean install W10 and start fresh.

But before doing that, see if clearing the CMOS which resets the BIOS to its defaults, gets the sound to work.

See the 8200 Elite service manual at the link below for how to clear the CMOS...The 8100 Elite for some reason, has no service manual.  Appendix E, pp 304 - 305.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

As I posted yesterday, your PC shouldn't have had any issues with the audio.

Reinstalling W10...

W10 should be activated with a digital license.

Make the 64 bit bootable W10 installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the media, and during the installation, you will be asked what version of W10 you need to install, so make sure you select the right version...Probably W10 Pro x64.

When you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

If all goes well, the sound should be working by default with a generic Windows HD audio driver.

Then you can go back to the Realtek site and install the W10 audio driver that it is supposed to have.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your valuable directions to fix the audio issue.

Few days ago, I contacted Microsoft and mentioned about the audio issue resulted from W10 upgrade. They did a clean W10 installation and suggested to upgrade BIOS as audio issue was not solved. I wish you can remotely see my computer. I can re-do and install W10 again as you directed. Not sure about CMOS part and never checked that as you suggested. Btw, is there a way to check computer hardware is properly linked to computer software?. Honestly, I am kinda lost with this situation. Anyway, Thanks very much for your valuable help and support.   

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is a tool you can use to check the hardware in your PC to make sure it is functioning correctly...

It is called the HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY

You can download it at the link below, bottom of the page, middle file.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.