Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6300
Other

Assisting neigbhor with repairs to older HP 610Y Pavillion-   HDD is going  bad, and unable to boot.

Being an older system, there is no  recovery images or support for this product-  I am unable to install a new drive and OS and suspect it is due to the BIOS itself.   

I think the latest BIOS version on board is JUL 2010-  I have attempted Windows 10, 8,  and now seeking a Windows 7 Home ISO, however, still get the "drivers" issues.   

I cloned the old drive to a new WD SSD, and also a new 1TB Seagate.   I still get the "Media Drivers" issue.   However, cloning to the SSD,  system did boot up, and able to log on-  Neighbor cold use it, then it would not boot up  (HDDs not found)

MS says its old H/W to blame and need to upgrade BIOS-  HP says BIOS only from their site and not MB vendor-  HP doesn't support any downloads for this system due to age- and she cannot  afford a new system

Anyone know where I can find drivers for this system, or the BIOS download so I can use LINUX or FREE DOS to execute?

System was booting up and working ok after clone- then 3 days later-  It stopped-  It wil not recognize any peripherals, unless i unplug for 10 min or I clear the BIOS and reboot-   

System was runing Windows 10, and if I could bypass the SMART feature in the BIOS to Legacy, I can probably allow the system to "continue"  for now-  It won't do anything.

Tnx

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SEABEEADP 

If I had a dollar for every time someone came here telling us that MS claimed their problem was NOT MS Windows but instead, the HP BIOS -- and their "miracle cure" is to update the BIOS -- I'd be a wealthy person!

This is I believe an XP-era PC and the problem you have with HP BIOS updates is they are OS-version specific.  So that means, even if you did find online a (say) 2014 BIOS update for Win7, you could not run it in XP, or for that matter, in Win10. So, the MS-claimed BIOS update probably is out of the picture.

Additionally, HP distributes their BIOS updates as self-extracting archive that require a Windows OS to run -- so you would not be able to use them in Linux.  As to FreeDOS, I don't know if that would even work.

However, if you download and run the utility 7-ZIP on a Windows PC, it can extract the components from the HP BIOS package and then you have the actual BIOS .bin file -- and that might run under FreeDOS.

As to drivers, there are other folks here a lot better at finding older drivers than me, so if one of those comes along, as they usually do, you may be able to get the drivers you need.

Sorry I'm not more "positive" about this, but I'm still "heartbroken" about having to retire a 10-year-old tablet PC that served me faithfully, day in and day out, for most of those 10 years.  Same issues as you are having with the PC -- lack of BIOS updates, lack of drivers, lack of being able to run recent OS versions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.