Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillon 23 Model #23-hd24Example: Pavilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a response to an email I received: There have been No hardware changes to my system and the only software change was the recent MS Software upgrade. All of my files (documents, photos, and music files) got deleted from my hard drive along with all of my settings for various programs - Rainlendar, Hallmark, etc. Additionally, many apps were also deleted and some that remained ( ms Store, calendar) unable to open. I contacted MS and was told that they don't delete files and asked for the BIOS. When I gave them that information, I was told that the new upgrade does NOT work with that BIOS and it (BIOS) needs to be upgraded and contact HP. HP stated that the computer was too old and there would be no BIOS upgrade, Fortunately I store my data in the cloud so I only lost some older files. Additionally, I ran some troubleshooting procedures (McAfee Gary Utilities, and SuperAntispyware) to ensure that I had got some bug and everything is clean. All I was doing was upgrading to the new MS sw upgrade and everything was working perfectly before this horrible experience. I told MS that I have never experienced such a mess as this upgrade and they never shoulld have released it without some warning.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@tcole001 

You mentioned an email -- and HP support does not send out emails.  This is a well-known SCAM where folks get customer info, send them email, and then try to con them into spending money to fix PC issues they do not have.  If you did actually get an email from HP Support, that would be an exception.

As to the issue with losing stuff, this is a long-standing and well-know problem with Windows 10.  Read this: https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

MS is correct that the latest version of Win10, v20.04, does not work with older BIOS versions -- problem is, HP is not updating the BIOS for older PCs.  So, there is no "fix" for that coming from HP.

Not only did MS issue warnings about the v20.04 Feature Update, they also BLOCKED it for several months due to issues it was having with PCs.  Had you come here prior to doing that update, we could have warned you about that.  MS has been having issues like this for a while, so they have stopped FORCING Feature Updates on folks and instead, offer them a Optional Updates.

Here's a thread from MS that you can read about issues with the v20.04 Feature Update:  ttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.