Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 500-009eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone.

I have a steelseries keyboard, and this gives keyboard error at startup. I contacted steelseries and they said I have to lookup for a BIOS update. I found one for Windows 8, but not for windows 10. Is there a windows 10 bios update available? if not, is there one coming? if not, how can I update my bios then?? 

my motherboard is foxconn h61 2ADA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would not risk it if one exists.

The BIOS for your motherboard was specifically develped for HP, so if you were to install the OEM BIOS, you could wreck the PC.

I would rather risk installing the HP BIOS update in W10, then trying one from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Best to play is safe and run the BIOS update using a supported operating system.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no W10 BIOS update, and none will be forthcoming, or one would have appeared on the support page a couple of years ago.

Your only option would be to reinstall W8.1 or W8, update the BIOS, and then reinstall W10.

I would not risk doing the BIOS update in W10.

HP Recommended

Is there any way I could update it from the foxconn website? 

HP Recommended

I would not risk it if one exists.

The BIOS for your motherboard was specifically develped for HP, so if you were to install the OEM BIOS, you could wreck the PC.

I would rather risk installing the HP BIOS update in W10, then trying one from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Best to play is safe and run the BIOS update using a supported operating system.

HP Recommended

I have a similar situation, except my pre-2013 HP desktop (p7-1370t CTO)  was never updated to Win 8, and I jumped from Win 7 directly to Win 10, now using the 1903 version. The BIOS is  ver 7.12 and there is an available ver 8.2 for the Foxconn 2ADA listed on the HP site for WIndows 8.  So, you seem to initially indicate that it's best to go back to WIn 8 first bfr updating to that Bios, then reinstall Win 10, but I can't do that. I can't even go back to Win 7 at this point as I don't believe I have the disc for that. Later you seem to indicate that it might be worth a try to do the Bios update for Win 8 while still in Win 10, (rather than getting the update from the OEM), but if I do so, what is the worst that can happen? 

I've had little glitches along the way since updating to Win 10, but for the most part Windows Updates have eventually solved the problems (which might have been caused by prior updates).  But I now have a problem on cold start-ups where it seems to not be do a POST, but upon a hard shutdown/restart it goes right to the login screen and works ok.  PSU and GPU problems have been ruled out, and the MBU seems fine too.  Elsewhere, I've read that a Bios update has solved a similar problem.  Is it worth the risk? As long as I keep the computer in sleep mode rather than shutting down, I don't seem to have any problems re-accessing my desktop login screen. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to advise you whether or not it is worth the risk to try updating the BIOS in W10.

The BIOS update may work fine, or it may completely wreck your PC, and I can't even assign odds to it.   So it is a 50-50 bet.

I can assign much higher odds to updating the BIOS from the motherboard MFR's website at 90% or better, it will wreck the PC.

That is why I suggested it was a lesser risk of updating the BIOS using the W8 HP flash than the OEM's flash.

If you like the PC a lot and weren't planning on getting a new one, I would not take the risk.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new PC, then by all means go for it.  😊

If you decide to roll the dice, please post back and let us know the outcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.