Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Desktop 795-00xx
Microsoft Windows 11

Since upgrading to Windows 11 I've been suffering the occasional BSOD - machine generates dump files, restarts and all 'seems' well.

Analysis of the Memory dump and mini dump files points the finger at the Nvidia graphics driver - nvlddmkm.sysScreenshot 2021-12-19 150111.png

To the best of my knowledge I am on the latest available versions of both Windows and driver software ...

Is anyone else enjoying similar experiences, can shed any light on the problem or even knows how to resolve it? 🙂

Philip
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I suspect that I should tempt fate and close this thread - problem "gone away" rather than solved.

No one has said "me too" and, having had BSODs on 23/11, 17/12, 19/12 and 25/12, I haven't seen one since so it's time to call it a day - it'll go down as "just one of those things".

Thanks to those who provided input and suggestions ... 🙂

Philip

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

The last time I checked version 497.09 was the latest Nvidia driver. Check your version.

Download the latest version for your Nvidia graphics card at this (Link). Do a clean Nvidia driver installation if needed.

Run a check disk to verify system drivers are good.

Open an administrative command prompt:

Copy and paste the following  DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

After completion run the following sfc /scannow

Check hardware: HDD. RAM, graphics, etc.

Start the PC. Tap "ESC".

Select "F2". Run system and component tests.

Regards

HP Recommended

As I stated, I am using the latest version of the Nvidia driver, as available through Windows, namely version 30.0.14.7208 dated 13/09/2021.

I forgot to mention that it is a GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card ... though I doubt that makes much difference.

Philip
HP Recommended

Hello
if you have already tried what has been indicated
Uninstall the graphics driver, and install a previous driver
if the problem is still there
either a problem with windows 11
either with the graphics card
You may have something else, but it will be difficult to identify
See if removing the graphics card and using the integrated one (if possible with this model) fixes the problem.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

Use the Nvidia link in previous post to download the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTX 1660.

Windows drivers are usually not the latest drivers.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks both. I was really looking for a "me too", "it's a known fault due to ..." or "I fixed it by ..." type responses but it doesn't seem to be a specific / widespread issue. And, to be fair, I've only had three BSOD events since upgrading to W11 (02/11/2021) so it is at worst intermittent and relatively painless (so far).

I've updated to a more recent driver - 30.0.14.7284, dated 06/12/2021 - aka version 472.84 of the Studio Driver stream since I am more interested in "stability" than "latest games". I'll monitor the situtation over the next few days / weeks to see how it goes ...

Thanks again

Philip
HP Recommended

HI @philip42h_2 ,

You're very welcome.

Regards

HP Recommended

@philip42h_2 wrote:

Thanks both. I was really looking for a "me too", "it's a known fault due to ..." or "I fixed it by ..." type responses but it doesn't seem to be a specific / widespread issue. And, to be fair, I've only had three BSOD events since upgrading to W11 (02/11/2021) so it is at worst intermittent and relatively painless (so far).

I've updated to a more recent driver - 30.0.14.7284, dated 06/12/2021 - aka version 472.84 of the Studio Driver stream since I am more interested in "stability" than "latest games". I'll monitor the situtation over the next few days / weeks to see how it goes ...

Thanks again

No, because I also use windows 11
I have a much older graphics card
I am using the very latest driver (finally I realize that you maybe did not have the very last one, as mentioned) 497.29 ?
The latter is not downloaded by a link since you just have to do it with geforce experience
by which you can choose the type of installation (new installation, or
I had tried the other driver version, but I did not find any difference, since I do not have this use I think

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

... and had a "Happy Christmas" BSOD this morning with the same cause so simply updating the driver hasn't resolved the issue. 🤔

I'll get back to Christmas for now and look at in more detail later ... 🎄

Philip
HP Recommended

Did you try, the very last one after all?
Can you try your graphics card, with another computer?
In the worst case, if the problem is with windows 11, possibly can you try reverting to windows 10?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.