Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to update my BIOS, because I am having an issue with a USB device. The problem is the BIOS utility will not run on my PC. It opens, I click yes, then nothing happens--the program never launches. Thus, I cannot update my BIOS or prep a flash drive to manually update my BIOS.

I've also tried using the HP Support Assistant, and it said I had a BIOS update, which I tried to install. I thought it worked, because now it does not show that I have an update. However, when I went into my bios, it still shows that it is an older revision.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get these BIOS update programs to run or how I can alternatively create a flash drive that I can update from?

This is the appropriate BIOS and revision for my PC:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/1574106...

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a background process that is running preventing it from updating. Anyone have any idea what his process would be?

HP Recommended

Hi @MrAyrit

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Install windows update and then try

Find and install updates for your computer with Windows 10

1. In Windows, search for and open Windows Update settings.

2. Click Check for updates.

If there are any available updates, they begin installing automatically.

3. After the updates install, restart your computer, if necessary.

and then download the file, right-click on it and run it as an administrator

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Windows is update-to-date. Ran as administrator, still nothing.

HP Recommended

i'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Have you tried updating the bios outside of the operating system using UEFI Diagnostics? I could never get my Envy 32 AIO to update until I did it that way.

First thing was to create a BIOS recovery USB (it took ages btw) and plugged it in. I then used the correct Service Pack from HP and attempted the BIOS update from within windows. Upon restarting the PC, I went into the Pre-Boot UEFI Diagnostics option (pressing ESC at Boot), selecting F2 [System Diagnostics], then [Firmware Management] and finally [BIOS update]. The system detected that a BIOS update was available and commenced flashing the eProm.

After exiting UEFI itself, the system could be seen writing blocks during a POST screen in the top left of the monitor (a bit like DOS). It then entered the update process again and 'recovered' the BIOS before booting through into Windows - the end result was an update to the BIOS when I checked within system properties.

The main thing to remember when doing a BIOS update is don't interrupt it! Let the computer do its thing until everything comes back to normal - failure to do so will result in a bricked PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.