Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
RB519UA
Microsoft Windows XP

My note crashed with windows xp, I did a disk sanitation on the old hdd.  Since then I’ve replaced the hdd with sdd. But I can’t get my bios to recognize my usb.  Pxe is also giving me issues. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 -- on one of your images, I see:

Capture.JPG

Is this the '"optimal" boot-order when you are trying to install Linux?

You probably do not have any of these devices attached to your computer.

One of your other images showed that you enabled "PXE" (Pre-Execution Environment). Unless your computer is "managed" by the I.T. Department of a large company, any attempt to use PXE will not find the PXE-server anywhere on the corporate network. I doubt that you have a PXE-server on your in-home network.

However, try installing Linux onto a 2.5-inch disk-drive (or 2.5-inch SSD) that is the primary/only disk-drive on some other computer.

Then, move the disk-drive back into your computer, and boot from the HDD/SSD. Does Linux start correctly?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 -- I can’t get my bios to recognize my usb.  Pxe is also giving me issues. 

The BIOS SETUP for your computer may have some "security" options, to prevent the computer from booting from from USB memory-sticks.

Or, if your computer was so old that it was running Windows XP, booting from USB was not supported -- boot only from HDD/SSD or from CD/DVD.

Note that "PXE" (Pre-Execution Environment) is not something that is used, except when the computer is "remotely-managed" by the I.T. Department of a large company.  Disable it, because you will never use it.

Specifications for RB519UA -

HP Compaq nc6400

Intel Core™2 Duo Processor T7200

1024M/80G

14.1" WXGA

DVD/CD-RW DL

Windows XP Pro

Notebook PC

HP Recommended

the tpm is not locked, i am able to disable or enable tpm within bios, bios doesnt support usb?. I think the bios secuirty is preventing me from booting from usb. i cannot get into the bios setup untlity.

HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 --  i am able to disable or enable TPM within BIOS ....... i cannot get into the BIOS setup utility.

These two phrases seem to be contradictory.

> I think the BIOS security is preventing me from booting from USB.

It might be. If you can enter BIOS SETUP, your should be able to remove that restriction.

If you can enter BIOS SETUP, can you change the "boot order" to allow booting from USB?

Be sure to connect the USB with the bootable image BEFORE entering BIOS SETUP.

HP Recommended

I tried to use chromebook recovery utility.. I think the issue is.. the usb has no MBR, ISO so it’s not going to recognize anything. I’ll post updates 

HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 --  I think the issue is.. the USB has no MBR,  ISO 

Connect that USB memory-stick to a running Windows computer, and browse its root-directory.

Do you see a "autorun.inf" file, and a "setup.exe" file, indicating a bootable system,

or do you see a large ".iso" file, written as a "data" file, not "unpacked" ?

HP Recommended

I don’t No see a auto file just the iso.. you can’t flash a usb drive with a chromebook even if it has Linux correct? 

HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 -- I don’t No see a auto file just the ISO

That is the problem. 

You copied the ISO file to the USB stick as you would copy an ordinary file.

You need to use a special program to write to the USB stick.

Compare to a "ZIP" file -- you need to "unpack" such a file, to view the files/folders inside the file.

So, you should:

1. open the folder on your disk-drive that contains that ISO file
  2. click with the second (usually the right-side) mouse button on the ISO file
  3. choose "Open With"
  4. choose "Windows Disk Image Burner"
  5. this app will "open" the ISO, and write the files/folders to your USB memory-stick
  6. then, you should see the "AUTORUN.INF" file and the "SETUP.EXE" file

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

94440550-0A37-44DD-9BE6-836638F31381.jpeg

image.jpg

BCAAE90F-4167-4F6E-BD57-3DBEA5115AB1.jpeg

7C5EDFF8-4DB3-4233-BD47-AEBFFE039D30.jpeg

ABD5415B-87DB-4E53-BD22-3367089F2B08.jpeg

CEC49209-C2A4-4FAC-83ED-A472CED0C816.png

98BFCACB-4406-4346-A89A-076EC4EBE2FD.jpeg

313AFF2E-9980-4B16-8109-B433C634BD1B.jpeg

Okay guys. I don’t know what’s wrong either the motherboard is just dead or I’m just not advanced with computers. But I have pictures of what I’ve read from many forums… even tried to install Linux with the usb flashed with chromebook recovery utility.. Tpm is not enabled, I’m reset cmos battery ram is new. Ssd drive is new. Bios is at the latest firmware. Here are some pictures. Also. I successfully replaced chromeOs within the chromebook. Does Linux have programs such as Rufus that flash usb for my notebook? 

HP Recommended

@Ghostcapri2 -- on one of your images, I see:

Capture.JPG

Is this the '"optimal" boot-order when you are trying to install Linux?

You probably do not have any of these devices attached to your computer.

One of your other images showed that you enabled "PXE" (Pre-Execution Environment). Unless your computer is "managed" by the I.T. Department of a large company, any attempt to use PXE will not find the PXE-server anywhere on the corporate network. I doubt that you have a PXE-server on your in-home network.

However, try installing Linux onto a 2.5-inch disk-drive (or 2.5-inch SSD) that is the primary/only disk-drive on some other computer.

Then, move the disk-drive back into your computer, and boot from the HDD/SSD. Does Linux start correctly?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.