Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion

Help! I installed the BIOS update yesterday and did not deactivate BitLocker. Now it’s asking for a recovery key and I don’t have one (long story short, the Microsoft email used to install BitLocker is no longer active and I have no way of retrieving the recovery key). 
I’m not very computer savvy, but I did try toggling the TPM setting to “disabled” and that did not work. I will take ANY suggestions before having to completely reboot my system and losing all of my files. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kar1022 

Sorry, but I don't think there is anything you can do at this point to save or recover anything.

I really wish that vendors that stick BitLocker on folks'  PCs would go to the extra effort to warn folks about that and tell them what needs to be done -- which is, using the BitLocker Management function to print off the key right after you finish setting up the PC.  

In addition, they should modify the BIOS update routines to check for BitLocker, and if found, either present the option to print off the key, or display instructions for doing that and then terminating the BIOS update -- to give you a chance to do it.

But... that's probably asking too much.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.