Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I allowed my HP Envy laptop to update, It updated BIOS I think, and after updating it came onto the Bit Locker screen (due to changes in Secure Boot), and I never installed it or set it up. I do not have the recovery key, and I’ve checked my microsoft accounts. Is there any way to recover it? I have some school files on there a really need to get to.

I was signed into one drive/outlook via my university and is it possible they could have done that? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

it is because of a wrong HP bios update.    hopefully HP can send a fix

HP Recommended

The exact same thing happened to me last week (June 20th-21st).  I have no bit locker recovery key set up in my personal Microsoft account but it is turned on and I am locked out.  I did not set it up myself either. I was logged into my university one drive account the last time I accessed the computer. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. HP has been attempting to rectify the issue for 3 months to no avail. I can’t afford to lose my data!

HP Recommended

@Exa_05 

To ALL the posters in this thread:

1) This is not a BIOS update flaw -- this is NORMAL procedure

2) You did not install Bitlocker; HP did at the factory -- which is why it is on the PC

3) You can tell BitLocker is installed by looking at the drives in File Manager and noticing they have special icons on them

4) The first thing you are supposed to do with a BitLocker drive is use the MS utility to back off the key to a USB stick.  You need that because after a BIOS update, the PC will then prompt for the key to allow you access back into the drive.

See if this thread helps your situation:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Bitlocker-continuous-prompts-for-entering-the...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.