Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion a6115.uk
Microsoft Windows Vista

My computer (Pavillion a6115.uk) has stopped booting – I only now get a black screen. No HP splash screen with options for esc/F10 for boot/bios. No flashing line cursor.

The fans spin and the cd-rom lights up, but nothing is appearing on the screen. I'm not sure if the HDD is starting. When it was working, there was a little orange light on the top of the machine near the power button which would light up when the disc was accessed, but this is not happening at all now.

What I have tried:

1. Cheked that the monitor is not at fault by plugging into another machine;

2. Reseated the RAM;

3. Reseated the Graphics card;

4. Unplugged then replugged the HDD;

5. Tried an alternative graphics card  – same result.

It's an old machine, but I quite like it and would obviously prefer not to have to buy a new one if possible.

Any help would be greatfully recevied.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Have you checked the CMOS battery? Sometimes that causes issues with the BIOS. Also, since the BIOS isn't coming up, that means you machine is having issues POSTing. There is a few tricks to fix this, but they are kinda' tword desktops more than laptops, but this may help: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.h...

~ bmk3k ~

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Have you checked the CMOS battery? Sometimes that causes issues with the BIOS. Also, since the BIOS isn't coming up, that means you machine is having issues POSTing. There is a few tricks to fix this, but they are kinda' tword desktops more than laptops, but this may help: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.h...

~ bmk3k ~
HP Recommended

Thanks very much!

A new CMOS battery has resolved the issue.

For anyone with the same issue the battery required is CR2032 3V.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.