Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-150t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I would like to re-install Windows 7 on my computer.  I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO file on a memory stick.  How can make my computer boot from the memory stick?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Download and run this Microsoft tool to create bootable W7 media (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

I was able to copy the ISO file to a USB memory stick, but not to make the memory stick bootable.  I could not find instructions about how to use bootsect .  Thanks   

Snapshot -  Bootsect.JPG

HP Recommended

@Philip54 

The ISO file is a compressed collection of other files.  If you have only that file on a USB stick, it will not boot.

What you need to do is save the ISO file to your PC, insert the USB stick and then use a utility known as RUFUS to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.  It will extract the files from the compressed collection and write them to the proper places on the USB stick.  

You can get RUFUS from here:  https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6062-rufus.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Follow what @WAWood has said for creating the Windows 7 USB stick. Once it's created, you'll need to inset the stick, restart the PC, keep tapping ESC or F9 and choose the USB stick from the boot menu. Follow the prompts from there.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Use the tool I suggested or use Rufus. Link to Rufus download (Link).The Windows tool is easier to use. 

Open the tool, navigate to the ISO file on your PC's HDD using the tool's browse function.

Follow the prompts to create boot media. 

You can do USB or DVD media using the Windows tool. Rufus may be limited to USB media.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  Could you please help me to select the correct version of Rufus that I need to use?

There are 5 different versions of Rufus at the website in your message.  I initially selected the one called Windows 10, because I am preparing the USB memory stick using a Windows 10 computer, because my Windows 7 computer (on which I want to replace the operative system) is not in good shape.  I don't know if this selection is correct, perhaps the Windows 10 selection is for people that want to re- install Windows 10 rather than Windows 7.  In addition to this uncertainty, when I selected Windows 10, I got a zip file containing 4 different executable files ,  Which one should I use?

My Windows 7 ISO file is for  Home Premium 64

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Rufus is universal. The operating system does not matter when creating boot media.

Using the Windows media creation tool in my first response for W7 or W8.1 should eliminate all of the guess work.

I have no idea why you have four Zip files. The Rufus download should be one file.

Regards

HP Recommended

Following the advice received (many thanks to All), I created a bootable USB stick from the ISO file using Rufus.  Unfortunately, when tapping on F9 after turning the computer on,  I just get a black screen and no menus  of any kind appear.  If don't tap on F9, most of times (but not always) the computer starts and goes into Window as it is supposed to do.

HP Recommended

Hello
I allow myself to answer because you seem to be at an impasse
Many solutions to make a bootable key have been given.
But if the motherboard, the bios, do not allow booting from a USB key, nothing will do!
Unfortunately we do not have the indications for this model, but some of the same computer series.
And we can see for some that the options are Floppy, HDD, cd player, network!
Try to check with the help of the documents here, if you have a USB key option!
The best will therefore be to use a DVD rather than a USB key!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-100-desktop-pc-series/4079700/how-to

BIOS Settings for the Truckee Motherboard

BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.