Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
1WJ88UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I factor reset my HP laptop. I believed I did it wrong. When it restarted you can't go past the login screen. Once you clicked to log in it say CTO panic. Anyway I can fix it?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Cammy110

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the CTO panic error. 

Please try installing the operating system using the media creation tool. Refer to this document for steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When you say you factory reset it, do you mean you did it through the F11 factory restore? Or was it a WIndows 'reset'

HP Recommended

F11

HP Recommended

OK, well a CTO panic is a stop error during a FFR (full factory recovery) so you shouldn't be able to log it in, or if it is logging in, it's the default admin account while the build scripts are still running.

From memory, CTO panic means that there's something in your tattoo that the build doesn't like. IE. it's expecting different answer or CT number is missing or invalid, although if it's missing you'll get a POST error telling you as such.

Is it the ORIGINAL F11 recovery partition that shipped with your unit? Or did you create a cloud recovery USB?

You could also try installing this patch for recovery issues: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91863.exe

Check the error log when the build stops and see if you can see what stopped it and / or search for the string "yellow bang"

Let us know.

HP Recommended

it does go to the default admin account than goes black. Than reads the system cannot find the  drive specified. I did not create a could recovery USB. and yes it is the original F11 recovery partition that shipped with my unit.

HP Recommended

There's things you can do with changing the model and feature byte and versions of recovery etc.. that can sometimes 'make' the recovery complete, But to be honest you'd be better to just install the Vanilla Windows 10. Windows Update should install all the drivers, but if not you can download them off the HP website. I would also recommend installing HP UEFI diags and HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

How would i be able to install vanilla windows 10? Would i need a fash drive. If so how do i use it on my laptop. I wouldn't be able to access the fash frive from my laptop. 

HP Recommended

You need to go to a working computer, then go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Download and run the media creation tool. You'll need a 8GB+ USB stick.

When it's done. Put the stick in  your laptop, turn it on and start tapping F9. Select the USB stick from the menu and follow the instructions.

Alternatively you could see if a newer HP recovery version works. To create a new one, go here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

I'm not sure what size stick you'll need for this one. I'd assume it would tell you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.