Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-254na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello all.

My recent purchase has developed a start error (bsod). I have tried using Windows system recovery, to restore the system to an earlier point, but it doesn't work. So I M contemplating a full factory system restore using hp's recovery image on the partition.

My question is, can I install the fresh operating to a new ssd, and not the existing mechanical drive the PC came with?

Advice and installation tips would be much appreciated.

Mario.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes.  You will need a 2.5" sata SSD. I recommend a Samsung or intel SSD. They have been winning the SSD wars for a while.

That is a highly recommended upgrade. If you download a windows ISO and create a USB installer it should be pretty straightforward

Here is the Windows 10 media creation tool download website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Dowmnload the media creation tool file. YOu can do it on a different PC. You will need a USB flash drive that is at least 4GB. Be sure to select the version (Home or Professional) and type (32 or 64-bit) that was previously installed in your desktop PC's original hard disk.

Remove the original hard disk and install the new SSD (TLC or V-Nand) Do not choose an NVME type!

SSD products at NewEGG.

YOu might want to purchase a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter so the new drive will fit easily in place of the original 3.5" hard disk.

Connect the same power and data connector to the new SSD that was attached to the original hard disk.

Plug the USB installer you created into an available port.

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F9 key. Choose the usb installer to boot to.

Follow the prompts to install the OS to your new SSD.

It will be activated when you go online.

I will edit this  shortly and  put a link for where you can find the required drivers.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-550-200-Desktop-PC-series/9259612/model/...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can do a fresh install using Windows 10 installation media from the following link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

(Note: Using a tool to create the iinstalltion media).

Now, use the media to install fresh Windows 10 on your computer. You need to use same version (Home) . During the installtion process, it will ask for a key, please SKIP and continue

Windows 10 will automatically activate when you come online. The key is in the BIOS.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes.  You will need a 2.5" sata SSD. I recommend a Samsung or intel SSD. They have been winning the SSD wars for a while.

That is a highly recommended upgrade. If you download a windows ISO and create a USB installer it should be pretty straightforward

Here is the Windows 10 media creation tool download website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Dowmnload the media creation tool file. YOu can do it on a different PC. You will need a USB flash drive that is at least 4GB. Be sure to select the version (Home or Professional) and type (32 or 64-bit) that was previously installed in your desktop PC's original hard disk.

Remove the original hard disk and install the new SSD (TLC or V-Nand) Do not choose an NVME type!

SSD products at NewEGG.

YOu might want to purchase a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter so the new drive will fit easily in place of the original 3.5" hard disk.

Connect the same power and data connector to the new SSD that was attached to the original hard disk.

Plug the USB installer you created into an available port.

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F9 key. Choose the usb installer to boot to.

Follow the prompts to install the OS to your new SSD.

It will be activated when you go online.

I will edit this  shortly and  put a link for where you can find the required drivers.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-550-200-Desktop-PC-series/9259612/model/...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico, I'll give that a go and report back.

HP Recommended
Worked perfectly. System is now running sweetly 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.