Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All in one, Touch, 64bit Windiws 10 Home.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ALLN IN ONE, WINDOWS 10HOME, TOUCH. JUST GOT PC BACK FROM A CLEAN INSTALL,I NOW NEED TO CREATE BACK UP, IN CASE I FIND MYSELF IN THIS POSITION AGAIN. CAN I DO THE BACKUP MY FILES TO USB MYSELF FROM HP RECOVERY MANAGER? OR DO I NEED TO ORDER THE BACKUP AND RECOVERY SOFTWARE FROM HP BECAUSE IT ISNT THE ORIGINAL OS IN THERE NOW.  HP ALL IN ONE [serial number removed]  Model. 22-3152. any input be great. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MRAllinone wrote:

.... OR DO I NEED TO ORDER THE BACKUP AND RECOVERY SOFTWARE FROM HP BECAUSE IT ISNT THE ORIGINAL OS IN THERE NOW.  HP ALL IN ONE [serial number removed]  Model. 22-3152. any input be great. 

@MRAllinone 

Now you have to do backup yourself because the Recovery set from HP will bring your machine back to Factory Settings. The following option is more suitable for your case

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MRAllinone wrote:

.... OR DO I NEED TO ORDER THE BACKUP AND RECOVERY SOFTWARE FROM HP BECAUSE IT ISNT THE ORIGINAL OS IN THERE NOW.  HP ALL IN ONE [serial number removed]  Model. 22-3152. any input be great. 

@MRAllinone 

Now you have to do backup yourself because the Recovery set from HP will bring your machine back to Factory Settings. The following option is more suitable for your case

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

BH. First Thank You for taking time to respond. I really really appreciate it. Just a few thing on the back up issue. I  did not do the clean install myself, (local tech) performed it. I have no problem executing this back and restore , but my question being if he did a clean install, and the current state of the PC is the  clean install and bios flash he just performed, will my back up process just mirror the state of the PC as it sits currently or will what i do , put the PC back to the state it was prior to the (LocaL Tech) doing his repair /install and the corruption that occured will just repeat? ..(made loud whistling noise, pc got stuck in recovery mode....BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH....THEN I TRIED TO RECOVER IT AND MADE A PARTITION VANISH, WHAT I TOUGHT HAPPEND.....Now today, after getting PC back from repair where the clean install and bios flash was performed I actually was just about to do the back up and restore of  PC , but i said"id better check with the Tech, and see if this the correct option to perform, as its been re installed twice now. Once three days after i got it, about 2 years ago....i accidently inserted a windows 8 recovery flash and before i knew it i lost windows 10 and windows 8 was there, and so "geek squad", probably restored PC.  then, and now this time and now im going to perform a backup/recovery and, before i proceed, i just wanted to TRIPLE check before i move FWD and the TECH  said i needed to get the back and recovery tools from the manufacturer  HP..SO i guess you can understand my aprehension to proceed just yet,. .Thanks. basically i just not sure which option the PC will restore to. Or is that something i can control. Any further input 

HP Recommended

And the PC came with W10, Home, so this is the 2nd copy of W10 thats been on the PC.....Not sure if thats important  to note. just wanted to cover my bases before execting the back up/recovery. 

HP Recommended

Hi

To supplement Banhien's excellent answer, you could...

Put the W10 .iso onto a DVD/USB media.

To get started, you will first need to have a licence to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below. Download tool now

Then add in the HP Drivers.

You could make a small 6 GB partition at the Back of your HDD, call it X: and expand the iso and add drivers.

X:\>dir
Volume in drive X is Recovery
Directory of X:\

02/04/2019 00:31 128 autorun.inf
02/04/2019 00:57 <DIR> boot
02/04/2019 00:18 409,654 bootmgr
02/04/2019 00:31 1,509,688 bootmgr.efi
02/04/2019 00:57 <DIR> efi
09/08/2018 16:55 <DIR> HP_Drvrs
02/04/2019 00:31 73,904 setup.exe
23/05/2019 11:47 <DIR> sources
02/04/2019 00:57 <DIR> support
4 File(s) 1,993,374 bytes
5 Dir(s) 1,129,336,832 bytes free

Then use EasyBCD to add that (W10 1903 in my case) to your Boot Menu.

So with a DVD/USB and a Partition holding the W10 expanded .iso and HP_Drvrs you should be able to cover most emergencies.

The install disk can be "over the top" leaving your original data in place and creating a WINDOWS.OLD folder.

Which can avoid a lengthy re-install of your backup files / cloned image.

HP Recommended

Oh ok i did that in my new HP all in one. I put a 6g recovery drive with iso image on a dvd, but the option was for a different pc. Is that so when im creating it, the tool doesnt begin to recover the PC at that time?   About the microsoft id, now do i need to purchase a another or am i able to create this recovery drive with the current id installed on the new OS. And what HP drivers and why , is that because if anissue arrieses the recovery tool is useless w/out proper drivers to power it?   i just paid for another Microsft ID in the repaired PC so an additional is needed ? what because in event of an issue that ID will be needed to complete the recovery and install of the OS. So just not sure about that last detail. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

HP Recommended

Hi

I dont know what "" i just paid for another Microsft ID in the repaired PC"" really means.

LO-COST/NO-COST SOLUTION.

Windows 10 is free-ish to download, installation is yet again at LITTLE TO NO cost.

I would want the WiFi drivers as a minimum readily available to continue with any other drivers from HP.

Beforehand, IE NOW you could try something like this...

KeyFinderInstaller may help....
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Doing research, and none of the methods are mine, I have some, simple single lines of code that will list the same value for your Windows 10 Product Key…

W10 Using cmd.exe as an Administrator (copy and paste accordingly).
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey >> c:\ProdKey.txt

Creates a text file called ProdKey.txt on your C:\ area.

Next is a PowerShell command, as Administrator...
(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey

but it will run within W10 using cmd.exe as an Administrator.
powershell (Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
###########

C:\>wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey >> c:\ProdKey.txt

C:\>dir prodkey.*
Directory of C:\

26/05/2019 10:17 266 ProdKey.txt
1 File(s) 266 bytes

C:\>notepad c:\prodkey.txt

OA3xOriginalProductKey
AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-12345-67890

WRITE IT DOWN and stick it onto the case or your bedhead or somewhere safe.

###########

The 'tool' creates a bootable W10 Repair/Recovery/Rebuild/Re-Install media on either a USB flash drive.

You then choose the type of action, and add in any drivers as and when you or the system deem it necessary.

The .iso image is EXPANDED to look like the X: listing I posted earlier on the USB, it is stand-a-lone  and with the HP_Drvrs added it becomes an "ALL-IN-0NE" (arf arf) media.

The original HP recovery image needs a 16 GB USB device. Your home made one wants to be 8 GB.

So are we talking at cross purposes here?

Your own home made at Low-Cost / No-Cost that is as good or better than the one you have paid for:  

or the original HP recovery option?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.