Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion s5-1014 Desktop

I need to restore my system to factory settings but my pc will not let me boot from the CD-Rom even thpough it is set as the first boot drive in the BIOS.  I have tried using the ESC ky to get the boot selection menu but that did not work.  I remember in the past, I've gotten a message to press any key to boot from CD, but I don't get that now. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> The last time (over a year ago) that I wanted to boot from the CD drive, I used the boot menu, selected CD

Can you try booting from that CD in some other computer, just to prove that the CD itself is OK?

> and got message to press any key to boot from CD.

That message is the result of a SUCCESSFUL boot from the CD, when the booted system detects that the disk-drive itself is bootable.  If the disk-drive is NOT bootable (i.e., "empty"), you will not get that message, and the boot from the CD will contnue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> I remember in the past, I've gotten a message to press any key to boot from CD, but I don't get that now.

That message is the message you received when you did boot from CD, and the booted software detected that the disk-drive also is bootable.  So, it is a prompt "did you really mean to boot from CD, or did you really want to boot from the disk-drive".

Turn the computer off.

Hold down any alphabetic key.

Turn the computer on.

You might get a message like "keyboard error. Press <blah> to enter BIOS setup".

Once in BIOS setup, set the boot-order to put the CD/DVD as the first option.

HP Recommended
Thanks. It is already set up as the first boot drive and the recovery CD is in the drive. It seems to ignore the bios and go right to windows. I tried using the escape key and selecting the CD DRIVE and it still goes right to windows. The last time (over a year ago) that I wanted to boot from the CD drive, I used the boot menu, selected CD and got message to press any key to boot from CD. I'm not getting this msg now
HP Recommended

> The last time (over a year ago) that I wanted to boot from the CD drive, I used the boot menu, selected CD

Can you try booting from that CD in some other computer, just to prove that the CD itself is OK?

> and got message to press any key to boot from CD.

That message is the result of a SUCCESSFUL boot from the CD, when the booted system detects that the disk-drive itself is bootable.  If the disk-drive is NOT bootable (i.e., "empty"), you will not get that message, and the boot from the CD will contnue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.