Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-g020t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am not able to boot into Windows 10 . It appears the hard drive has failed. I ran the HP Diagnostics and the HD Short DST Check fails. I am trying to recover my data and reinstall Windows 10 onto a new hard drive. My problem is I can't boot to either a bootable Windows 10 USB or my HP Recovery DVDs. I created the bootable USB using the Microsoft utility. I have changed my BIOS settings for legacy mode and make the USB the first bootable device but it still will not boot. 

I was able to boot to the USB twice and go to the command prompt and copy some files to an external hard drive. I still need to get some other data but now it won't boot to the USB anymore no matter what I try.  Maybe the USB drive got corrupted? What happens is the Windows logo comes up, next the Windows Recovery screen should load but it does not. I just get a blank screen. I can see the USB drive being accessed but nothing loads.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IMHO, take out the failed hard drive and install the new drive.  Now see if either the DVD or flash drive will boot and go ahead with the install.  You can try saving the data another way, after the Windows install finishes.  A better way to save any possible data from a failed drive is to use a device similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

IMHO, take out the failed hard drive and install the new drive.  Now see if either the DVD or flash drive will boot and go ahead with the install.  You can try saving the data another way, after the Windows install finishes.  A better way to save any possible data from a failed drive is to use a device similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-Adapter-Converter-External/dp/B00BIE996S

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I will try that as I really have nothing else to try.

Another question I have is about reinstalling Windows 10. The PC came with Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 10. I believe the Recovery DVDs are made with Windows 8. I do not have the Microsoft Product Key since HP doesn't place it on the PC anymore. Can I just install Windows 10 from my USB without having to do Windows 8 first? Will it work without the Product Key? Do I somehow have to get the Key first?

HP Recommended

Many users have that same question.  The Recovery Disk set you made from HP will reinstall Windows 8.  Since you have upgraded to Windows 10 thru the upgrade process, Windows 8 is no longer going to be of help, unless you are dissatisfied with Windows 10.  When you do the install from the media created for Windows 10, just tell it to install and not use any product key.  It is not necessary to install Windows 8 first.  The install will proceed without a product key and once it has completed, it will be activated once you are connected on the internet.

PS. check Device Manager for missing drivers after install finishws.  Since this is a clean install instead of an upgrade, Windows might not get all the drivers necessary

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hey

You may use 'rufus' for making the usb drive bootable or you can use linux dd command to write iso file to usb drive. And it is if system still not reading from the hdd then better you change the drive and use a fresh hdd. You can use your old drive as a portable hdd 😉

HP Recommended

I am not sure if there was a problem with the USB but I reformatted my USB drive using GFT using the Rufus tool then copied the Windows 10 files back on the USB. I took the advise of just installing the replacement hard drive. I was then able to finally boot from the USB and install Windows 10. I kept my BIOS in secure mode.  I was never asked for a Product Key during the install. I borrowed an external drive enclosure from a friend to copy my remaining data over to the new hard drive. Everything is good now. Thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

You need to go into the setup utility when you first start your computer. Different computers have different keys to do this like F2, F10, Esc, Del. It usually appears on the screen just before Windows boots. Once in the utility you can change the boot order so it looks first for you USB drive or CD/DVD drive. This should not matter since it is just an order. If it does not find an operating system on your hard drive, it will continue to look for the next drive in the order.
In the setup menu you can disable the secure boot setting, which is there to protect against malware from taking over your computer's booting. The newer EUFI bios may be keeping it from booting and that will fix that. You can also enable legacy BIOS, which is the older BIOS version used. This can be helpful with older systems.
But the most likely thing that will work is to reset your CMOS to the factory defaults. I had a hard drive crash and put in a new one. The computer would not recognize the USB or CD/DVD until I did this. You do this in the setup utility. There's usually a button that says restore default values. On my computer when you arrowed over to the exit menu choice, the screen showed a restore default values.
I then ran into another problem installing Windows 10 operating system. I came to a part where it said Windows can't be installed on Drive 0 Partition 1. Here's a link to a video on how to fix that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGoae8X9I5w

HP Recommended

Answer to do not have the activation code for my version of windows.

Download     Belarc Advisor        and run it

It will give PC's Activation Number within the full system report

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.