Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer won't work. I get a black screen that says repairing and  diagnosing, then another saying auto repair. Then it goes to a blue screen with options to reset. I have chosen several of those and it still is not working. I am now in Recovery Manager, trying to backup files before beginning this process.  It showed progress in creating backup files, in percentage, then goes backwards to 0% and turns gray. Then it showed back up completed and I was told to insert a USB to save to and I did. Then it went totally wacky and all of the files started shaking on the screen. I hit ok to get it to stop shaking and now it's back to showing progress on creating backup again. Now I don't know what to do to save my files or to reset my computer. HELP!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@corniek 

I wish I had good news for you -- but I need to be realistic in that there is probably no way now to use the HP recovery manager to do what you want.

Those error message mean that a Windows Update failed and that has left your PC in a corrupted state.  There is simply no way of know how much damage was done to the file system in the process -- and recovery programs run in the same file system.

The screen shaking is most likely a video drivers issue and that implies that those drivers, being part of the file system, also got corrupted.

What MIGHT work at this point, in terms of being able to recover files, is booting your PC using a USB stick you can create from another PC and then inserting another USB stick to be used to save your personal data.

If your PC can not boot into Windows, a way around that is to follow the instructions below to create boot media from Macrium Reflect (MR) that can be used to boot your PC even if the hard drive is not working:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, read this thread about using PE Explorer -- a simple file explorer: https://forum.macrium.com/PrintTopic15803.aspx

If your disk still works, you might be then able to retrieve some files and folders from it.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.