Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently (yesterday) had an issue where my PC green screened and then wouldn't boot windows. After running several diagnostics to make sure it wasn't hardware related I decided to reinstall windows, problem, I have several important documents and media files on my hard-drive that aren't backed up yet (stupid I know), however, this isn't a problem as hp recovery manager presents me with the option to back up my files before I reset, brilliant. I create the backup media, then reset.

After boot up everything runs smoothly until I try to use the media backup I created, Hp recovery manager says it can't run a media recovery as it's no longer supported after windows upgraded. My PC came installed with windows 10, I created the backup with the same version, literally everything is the same. For some reason I can't recover my data despite the fact that its sitting on my external hard-drive (in the hp back up format).

Please help, if I'd known there was an issue I'd have removed the hard-drive and had my data recovered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have recovered my files, if anyone comes across the same problem this is what the problem was:

I could not get access to my recovery data, everytime I tried to start the "recovery.exe" file I got an error message stating that I didn't have the correct permissions to access the file, possibly because there was more than one users data on the file (my fiance and I have separate user accounts so our work doesn't get muddled). What I had to do was right click on the .exe file, click properties, click on the security tab. At this point there were 3 "user" options (System, my username, and administrator) to be safe I make sure to highlight each one in turn, click advanced options and ensure that the box for "Full Access" was ticked, then clicked apply.

This allowed me to start the recovery process and I have since regained all of my media and files.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Let's see if the files are available.  On the backup media, is there a backup folder with .wim files inside.  Those would be any documents, Etc that were backed up.  If there is such a folder, then there should also be a RecoveryMgr.exe, too.  Run the RecoveryMgr.exe file.

See this document - yes it says Windows 7 but it should be similar to what is important here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03056985

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

it has .swm files in and yes it does have the restore .exe file but when i try to open I get an error message saying "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

EDIT: I played around with the file permissions and got it to run, I'll update if it works.

HP Recommended

A positive, so far.  Yes, please advise to progress.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have recovered my files, if anyone comes across the same problem this is what the problem was:

I could not get access to my recovery data, everytime I tried to start the "recovery.exe" file I got an error message stating that I didn't have the correct permissions to access the file, possibly because there was more than one users data on the file (my fiance and I have separate user accounts so our work doesn't get muddled). What I had to do was right click on the .exe file, click properties, click on the security tab. At this point there were 3 "user" options (System, my username, and administrator) to be safe I make sure to highlight each one in turn, click advanced options and ensure that the box for "Full Access" was ticked, then clicked apply.

This allowed me to start the recovery process and I have since regained all of my media and files.

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for reporting back and with a very good explanation of how it was accomplished.  I am sure this will be a benefit to someone else reading through this topic.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.