Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Recline 27 TouchSmart All-in-one PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi everyone! I'm trying to reinstall windows 8 on my ENVY Recline 27 (actually without an operating system) but it's not working. Trying to follow the HP website support instructions, reached the HP Setup Utility to find the Intel Optane menu, but this option it doesn't exist, that means the computer does not have Optane memory or Optane is malfunctioning and cannot be detected. Now, how can I solve this issue? Can someone help me?

Below, the screen I reached!

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 6.24.30 PM.png

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@WCaldas,

Your confused.  Optane is a form of hard drive cache (hard drive + RAM). The OS does not exist on M.2 OPtane device. Did you know that the most recent OS Product Key is embedded in the BIOS NRAM.  What was the original OS, and what OS did it have with this resent attempt.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi @Wb2001 , thanks for your support!

I'm sorry if I was not clear and I'll try to be more especific.

My HP Envy doesn't have an operational system installed. I was looking at HP Support website for a method to how can I reinstall it. I found a page teaching how I can, during boot process, reinstall the Windows 8.  I had to follow step by step what they recommend, untill the print I attached on my first post. 

There ,is clear information: If the PC doesn't have, at HP Setup Utility, an Intel Optane Menu, that means the computer does not have Optane memory or Optane is malfunctioning and cannot be detected and I should ask for help here, at the community.

So, I have no idea why this is important, but I couldn't keep follow the instructions because I had to ask for help.

As I understood, before Windows 8 reisntalation, there couple commands I have to execute on HP Setup Utility, but which one, if this "Optane Menu" that I don't have, don't allows me to keep follow the help steps?

Thanks again!

Wendell

HP Recommended

@WCaldas,

You state this unit will have WIN 8.1 and 32bit.   The most primitive 2013 HP 27's back in 2013 has 64 bit.  It also had a 16GB Optane and a physical 1TB hard drive. You can not install the WIn 8.1 to an Optane device.  It needs a physical data drive.  However you obtained that computer. some one has altered the BIOS defaults.  There is no such thing as a 931GB Optane device.  Optane only comes in 16GB and 32GB sizes . Optane is an Intel hard drive cache device to speed up the access to the actual hard drive. Again, read about it.

What is the exact module number of this HP 27 unit so that I can look up the unit configuration.  I am challenged by your continued reference to the use of an Optane device. Does it really exist in that unit?   Your reference to 931GB is actually is the size in GB that a 1TB drive would have. 

Why you would want to install WIN 8.1 is another question.  WIn 10 is free.   If this unit did have WIN 8.1 installed at any time prior, it has embedded the product key into the BIOS NRAM. That means it would accept the free install of WIN 10.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi @WB2001!

I really appreciate your help. To make easy I attached here some print screen to you undertand why I'm mentionting the OPTANE memory. File #1 is the screen that shows up when I turn on the computer, so, as suggested on the file #1 I visited the www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup  and proceeded the steps mentioned on the gray box note (file #2)

and then I'm stucked on this process. You asked me the module number, as I couldn't find, I took a pic of the Envy label and eresed the serial number. (file #3)

Is there anything that could be done for this PC?

Once again, thanks in advanced

Wendell

File#1.JPEGFile #2.pngFile#3.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.