Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop - S01-aF0017na
Ubuntu LTS

I have installed an ssd as well as the original HDD with Windows 10.  I want to install Ubuntu on the ssd.

I have made an Ubuntu boot USB drive with Rufus but the HP just boots to the grub prompt.

I have already set USB drive to the top of the boot order and disabled Secure boot.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The machine doesnt have z DVD. I could have connected one. I think its an Ubuntu issue because I have now tried Ubuntu 20.10 and that loads OK.  Seems very odd though.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Heafod 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

Since you are using Ubuntu, go here: https://ubuntuforums.org/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate that i install Linux at my own risk.  I'm not looking for HP support.  I am asking the HP community as i am looking for other HP users who have followed a similar route.

I'd be interested in any other HP users who have followed a similar route. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Ubuntu is small enough to burn to dvd, try that. 

HP Recommended

The machine doesnt have z DVD. I could have connected one. I think its an Ubuntu issue because I have now tried Ubuntu 20.10 and that loads OK.  Seems very odd though.  

HP Recommended

Possibly a secure boot /uefi issue. Hp bios can be a bit locked down if I can say that!

HP Recommended

By the way, it's cool to explore new os systems, try Mint linux or Zorin. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Steve.  I have made a note to explore Mint definitely.

At the moment i am getting to grips with idiosyncrasies of Ubuntu on an HP.  It certainly has some.

Boot is successful but inconsistent.  Sometimes it boots to a grub prompt and i have to type exit to get to the boot menu with Ubuntu and Windows options.

I'm wondering whether to update the UEFI but hesitate on the principle that if the UEFI works then leave it alone.  Change has risk 😮

HP Recommended

I have had that happen with all the Ubuntu distros, MInt, Zorin, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. Not sure why, best I can figure it's the bios Uefi area. If you boot and setup from Legacy if you can then it should work. They kept loosing the path to the UEFI. It's almost as if HP don't want you to do it? Can I say that? Oh well, it's true.

HP Recommended

hahaha

... almost as if ...

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.