Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to boot from a USB stick with MS Win 7 on it. Screen shows the following message:

Initializing Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.3.76

PXE 2.1 Build 090 (WfM 2.0)

It does show a cursor beneath, but does not react to anything. I cannot enter the BIOS. 

Also when starting the computer and hitting F10 (or any other F key or Esc, del) I cannot enter the BIOS and the boot agent message above shows up again.

I do not have an OS on this machine anymore after the HD died and want to boot via that USB stick. Going crazy over this.......

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You are seeing that message because it is the last item on the boot order that has a try to give the BIOS a boot choice,  With the hard missing there must not be another choice.  Without a model number for the PC, it is hard to give alternatives.  If the PC is old enough to have Windows 7, it might also be old enough to not have the USB in the boot order.  If you have a DVD drive, try a bootable DVD.  Otherwise but a hard drive in with a bootmanager.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I know you said you tried, but regardless of the age of the HP PC, F10 will enter BIOS, F9 will bring up a 'boot from' menu and ESC *may* bring up a menu which you can select items from.

A warm boot (CTRL+ALT+DEL) does not always register you invoking F9/F10.

Also, don't wait until you see a picture on the screen, you can often miss your 'window'

Try and use a WIRED keyboard, not wireless.

When the PC is off, get ready on the Keyboard. Hit the power button and furiously tap F10, F9 or ESC.

Does anything happen then?

HP Recommended

Agree with @Hibb1 , that was going to be my next suggestion. If you cannot get into the BIOS in any of the methods described, then the only choices are to give up or make a bootable DVD, or install a hard drive and install an OS on it,  to give the boot sequence something to look at.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.