Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-inch Displays
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been chatting with Microsoft Help (Azure) for the last three days.  I keep getting messages stating my computer needs to be upgraded.  When I try to upgrade it, it will only upgrade to version 1607.  Microsoft said to contact HP to see if my computer will accept rebuild in versions 1703/1709 as they think it cannot.

Can anyone provide me with the information that I need? 

Is my computer up to date or not? 

Do I need these two updates, 1703 and 1709 or not?

If I need them, how do I get them?

Any help provided will be deeply appreciated as I have been battling this problem for over a week now.  I presently have 1703 and 1709 hidden so that I don't keep getting messages to update to them.

Thanks in advance.

Ski Gorski

CMDCM(SW) USN Retired

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I use Comcast for my server and I just checked the computer speed as I'm writing this and it is 150 Mbps download

> It is pretty fast

That is an understatement.  :generic:

Locally, "Internet 150" is just over $80 US per month. Just like drag-racing the quarter-mile -- "speed costs money".

> If I was copying and downloading the files you recommended, I don't think it would take 70 minutes or so to do it.

Simple math -- if the Microsoft file-server can "send" at 150 Mbps, and your disk-drive can write at 150 Mbps, then the 70 minutes, at 10 Mbps, will be done in less than 5 minutes -- 15 times faster.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@SkiGorski

We can't answer your question because in your post, you did not provide any model information about your PC.

If you would provide that model information, we can provide you information about compatible PCs.

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

As requested, here is the information I think you need.

Product name:  HP Pavilion 23-h017c

Serial #:  [edit]

Product #:  F3E09AA

I hope this is it.  Let me know if you need something else.

HP Recommended

>  I keep getting messages stating my computer needs to be upgraded. 

> When I try to upgrade it, it will only upgrade to version 1607. 

Your computer probably already is running 1607 ("7th month of 2016").

> Microsoft said to contact HP to see if my computer will accept rebuild in versions 1703/1709 as they think it cannot.

Sigh.  I think that they are incorrect.

> Is my computer up to date or not? 

Sort of.

Microsoft is still distributing security-updates for '1607', but not for the version released in 2015.

It would be good to update to "September 2017 Fall Creators Update", to be ready when Microsoft stops updating '1607'.

> Do I need these two updates, 1703 and 1709 or not?

Need?  Not yet.

Want? Yes.

> If I need them, how do I get them?

Easiest way is via Windows Update.

But, since your computer is having problems updating:

1 - Google-search for "Windows Update Troubleshooter site:microsoft.com"

Enter that, with or without the quote characters.

You don't want to download something from a "rogue" site.

Choose the Windows 10 version (not the Windows 7 version).

Run this trouble-shooter, to fix any problems within Windows Update.

2. Reboot.

3. Launch Windows Update.  It should "find" the '1709' update, and download it.

It is a *LARGE* download -- allow a few hours, even with a 10 Mbit/second Internet connection, to download it.

Allow about two hours for the update to be "applied".

The above procedure has worked for me, on several of my friends' computers, when their computers would not successfully update.

HP Recommended

OK, I followed your instructions 1, 2 and 3 but it did not work.  This time, as has happened before, it stated that it could not be downloaded due to error 0x80004005. 

I'm not sure but I think that error means that my computer is not running the latest upgrade and cannot be upgraded further, but I could be mistaken.  Speaking of this, you mentioned something in your first paragraph:  

Microsoft is still distributing security-updates for '1607', but not for the version released in 2015.
It would be good to update to "September 2017 Fall Creators Update", to be ready when Microsoft stops updating '1607'.

I don't know how to tell which one I might have.  But as I have had this computer for  few years it might be a good guess that it is the version released in 2015.  How do I determine which I have and then how do I update it to the "September 2017 Fall Creators Update?"

Although this computer is a few years old, I would like to hold on to it for a few more years if possible as it rarely goes array and I like the "All-in-One" construction.  However, I would like to be able to get all updates as they are produced, and this is the first time I am having such a problem doing it.

Any further help will be deeply appreciated.

Ski Gorski

HP Recommended

>  I don't know how to tell which one I might have. 

> But as I have had this computer for  few years it might be a good guess that it is the version released in 2015. 

> How do I determine which I have ...

Run the 'WINVER' command, either from a command-line prompt, or directly from the Windows 10 desktop.

It will tell you.

> how do I update it to the "September 2017 Fall Creators Update?"

I just updated a Lenovo laptop from '1511' (the original version that was shipped with the laptop) to '1709', via Windows Update, without any problems.

On another system, earlier this week, it was necessary to run that "Windows Update Troubleshooter", which repaired problems within Windows Update, and then Windows Update upgraded from '1607' to '1709', without any problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying so fast.  My wife just informed me that dinner will be ready shortly, but I will try to figure more out using your guidance tomorrow.  When I used the "Windows Update Troubleshooter" earlier, as recommend by you, the results were that they found and fixed 4 different items, but I don't remember what they were.  I will also run it again after I see which version of 1607 that I have.

I do appreciate the help you've given so far and I hope that working together we can get things fixed.

HP Recommended

OK, here is where we are now.

I have used the Windows Update Troubleshooter again today.  The results of that were:

- Check for pending restart.                                                                                           Detected

- Potential Windows Update Database error detected.                                      Fixed

- Windows Update componen ts must be repaired.                                             Fixed

A recheck of my sytem info shows the following:

HP 23-h017c

Version:  1607

OS Build:  14393.2035  (I cannot tell when this was done as it is not 2035 yet.)

Product ID:  00326-10000-00000-AA829

Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330T CPU @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz

Installed Ram:  8.00 GB (7.89 GB Useable)

System Type:  64 bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and Touch:  Touch Support with 5 touch points.

Latest update after restart performed today (Saturday) 01/27/18 at 12:09 PM shows the same information as above, which was taken before the restart.

Needless to say, I do not have the 1703 or 1709 update yet.  Maybe I should wait for it to come out automatically instead of trying to get it now.  What do you recommend regarding this?

My problem now is that the computer keeps trying to update but after running the Windows Update Assistant, which keep coming back up even after I delete it, the results are that it could not update due to error code:  0x80004005.  I have also once received error code:  0x80070652.

This whole experience is getting me very frustrated.  I am willing to wait for the update if that is what it takes.  However, I am tired of the computer continually trying to update when it can't for whatever reason.  I have tried everything you and others (including Windows Tech's) have recommended but nothing seems to be working.  A complete Windows 10 overall may work, but after all the apps and other things that I have on my computer, I am not filling to loose them and have to replace them all over again.

If there is anything else we can try, I am more than willing to do it, with the exception of the Windows 10 re-install.

Respectfully,

Ski Gorski

HP Recommended

>  I have used the Windows Update Troubleshooter again today.  The results of that were:

>    

>     - Check for pending restart.                                                                                           Detected

>     - Potential Windows Update Database error detected.                                      Fixed

>     - Windows Update componen ts must be repaired.                                             Fixed

Restart, and run Windows Update, now that problems "internal" to it have been fixed.

> A recheck of my sytem info shows the following:

> Version:  1607

This is the version from 2016, in the 7th month, sometimes called the "Anniversary Update".

> OS Build:  14393.2035  (I cannot tell when this was done as it is not 2035 yet.)

Every time Microsoft's software-developers "build" a new "test" version of Windows, this "build-number" is incremented.   So, the '14393' refers to Windows 10 (not Windows 7 nor Windows 8), and '2035' is not the year in which the "test" version of Windows was assembled, for those software-developers to test their latest updates.

My father had a "Chrysler 200" automobile -- it was not manufactured in the year 200 Anno Domini:generic:

HP Recommended

> I do not have the 1703 or 1709 update yet.  

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download the '1709' version.

Follow the instructions to create "installation media" (one 8GB USB memory-stick or one DVD-writeable disk).

Insert the media.

Find the 'setup.exe' in the "root" folder of the media.

Run 'setup.exe'.

Since Windows is running, this program will update your system, and will NOT delete your Personal Files nor your installed programs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.