Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer failed to install the latest MS Windows 10 update. (1903) I first noticed when 2 of my 3 monitors stopped working and  settings > display > detect monitors is unable to detect additional monitors. The Nvidia driver is no longer found and I am unable to download and install a new driver from the site. I attempted to restore my computer (did not work) and then reset it (full reset, reset while keeping my files, reset all drives, every option). I receive a blue screen informing me my computer is unable to reset and changes are undone. Any advice? HP Support Assistant will not open either (just keeps spinning) and HP Command Center tells me the required services are not running (I cannot download those either). I have McAfee antivirus and have tried turning live protection off/on while updating as well. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

A HP Obelisk PC should run Windows 1903 or 1909 with zero problems.

Your problem is very unusual.

I don't know what else to tell you.

You have a corrupted Windows installation, a hardware problem, or malware.

All I could suggest at this point is to run offline malware scans to eliminate malware. You seem to have determined hardware is good and you seem to have no Windows system file corruption.

Back up data and try a clean Windows install at this site (Link). Try the Update Assistant or create W10 installation media.

Windows 10 should provide required drivers if you do a clean install.

You will lose some HP software but you may be able to get some HP software at your PC's software download site.

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I am not completely following what is happening. It appears you can't update to Windows 1903 or 1909.

Are you rolling back to Windows version 1809? Is version 1809 now messed up and you can't restore or reset the operating system?

I would check hardware in this situation.

Run HP Hardware Diagnostics.

Tap "ESC" at startup.

Select "F2".

Run System tests.

I would reduce the system configuration to one monitor, mouse, and keyboard when checking hardware or attempting a restore or a reset. This is also good practice when doing a Windows 10 update.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your reply. I was wrong- apparently I am running version 1903 but this update (among many others) is failing:

2019-12 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4533002)

I mention this one specifically because after it downloads - pending restart - everything else in the list fails. I cannot restore to a previous version or even perform a system reset. Additionally, since this failed update - the Nvidia graphics drivers which came installed on the computer are no longer able to be found. I have downloaded them from Nvidia again but my pc will not install them. I have tried HP hardware diagnostics (quick and extensive) and no problem is found.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good hardware may mean you have system file corruption. It could also be a malware problem.

Run a Check Disk at an administrative command prompt.

First run, without the quotes, "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

Wait until this is done,

Then run, without the quotes, "sfc /scannow"

Regards

HP Recommended

I received the message that cleanup-image/restorehealth option was unknown. I tried online/cleanup-wim both with the restore health option and without. Without restorehealth ran but did nothing. I ran sfc/scannow anyway and it told me it found a corrupted file and fixed it but when i restarted the computer nothing had changed. Do you think it would be worth running "cleanup-mountpoints" option? (I know I did not input the commands verbatim in this response but I did at the command prompt)

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have never had to use the "Cleanup-Mountpoints" option. 

This command will not dismount images that are already mounted and it will not delete images that can be recovered using the /Remount-Image command.

Try it.

Regards

HP Recommended

I didn't realize there were spaces between the tokens 'online' 'cleanup-image' and 'restorehealth' before. I ran them successfully and it seemed ok but when I restarted the computer it was back to square one. I don't understand why I cannot at least reset the computer. What could be preventing that?

HP Recommended

Hi,

A HP Obelisk PC should run Windows 1903 or 1909 with zero problems.

Your problem is very unusual.

I don't know what else to tell you.

You have a corrupted Windows installation, a hardware problem, or malware.

All I could suggest at this point is to run offline malware scans to eliminate malware. You seem to have determined hardware is good and you seem to have no Windows system file corruption.

Back up data and try a clean Windows install at this site (Link). Try the Update Assistant or create W10 installation media.

Windows 10 should provide required drivers if you do a clean install.

You will lose some HP software but you may be able to get some HP software at your PC's software download site.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help and pointing me in the right direction. Ultimately I ended up using HP Cloud Recovery and completely deleting the system as you recommended. Using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management commands taught me a bit and would have worked for a less serious problem I'm sure. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi Phoenixzero4,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.