Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
CQ5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all! Thank you for all that you do here at HP. I have a question as to weather or not I can switch to the Windows 7 start up Desttop classic view. When I start up I can see it then in an instant it goes directly to the Windows 10 Desktop. I put in a new hard drive and installed Windows 7 SP  then downloaded Windows 10 , so do I actually have a ghostly Windows 7 hiding in there that I can connect with? 

Thank you!

Glodeo

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Glodeo 

Understand what you WANT to do -- make Win10 look and feel like Win7 -- but you have to do that from INSIDE Win10, you can't link to anything in Win7 to do that.  Also, if you Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on the PC, then Win10 REUSED your Win7 license to do that, so NOW, you can't LEGALLY run that Win7 copy any more, on the original PC or on any other PC.

Here is a thread on how to change the LOOK of Win10 to be more like Win7:  https://www.howtogeek.com/277448/how-to-make-windows-10-look-and-act-more-like-windows-7/

But, you need to know that Classic Shell has been retired and replaced with Open Shell.

Also, a better solution, which DOES cost money, is Start10 from  Stardock.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dear Glodeo,

You can. Go to a known/safe free software site like "Majorgeeks", Sourceforge, Cnet ... etc.

Do a search for Windows Tweaking Tools.

Several of the freeware tweaking tools include automatic scripts (to you - buttons to press), that reset the interface back to Windows 7.

Easy ...

Have fun, be happy and stay safe.

Rick.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information! I am grateful that you are very thorough with it! You keep all of us safe from being side winded!

I will try what you have suggested and see what I can come up with! Have a happy day!

HP Recommended

k you, will walk over there and see what I can find! Have a happy day!

HP Recommended

Dear Glodeo,

It is always a pleasure to help polite and grateful people - such as yourself.

If you cannot find the programs mentioned - let me know.

I will try to find direct download links.

Failing that - I will create a torrent download for you (all files included), put it on our servers [mine - not HP's]. then give you the torrent addresses.

Have a very nice day, be happy (will more than you already are), and keep safe,

Rick.

HP Recommended

@Glodeo,

While Classic Shell is discontinued, it still works.  I know, I use it.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.