Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation

Trying to run Cloud Recovery on a Z440, which currently has a pair of new SSDs in RAID 1, no OS or anything else installed. A new 64GB USB drive contains the recovery files. When I boot to this USB stick, I get the following lines output to the screen:

[INFO] UEFI v2.31 (Hewlett-Packard BIOS ID:' 0x002002D)

[INFO] Hewlett-Packard M60 v02.45

[INFO] HP Z440 Workstation

[INFO] Disconnecting potentially blocking drivers

[INFO] Searching for target partition on boot disk:

[INFO]  PciRoot (0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Usb(0x0,0x0)/Usb90x6,0x0)/Usb(0x0,0x0)

[FAIL] Could not locate target partition: [14] Not Found

The history of setting up this machine for new HDs: Installed a pair of Samsung 1Tb SSDs, used Z440's onboard RAID configuration to successfully create a RAID 1 array.

Do I need to format this array now and create a partition before I can do the recovery?  I am not sure where this could be done, as no OS installed.

Ugh.  Remembered this flash drive was a Rufus install, used diskpart to completely clean and reformat to single active partition. Ran the HP recovery utility to install to the flash drive - successful. But now the machine won't recognize the USB stick as a bootable device, and reports "An operating system wasn't found..." The executable is indeed on the flash drive, and the boot order is USB/DVD/HD.

Solved/update: Crazy. I went to the MS Store and got the Cloud Recovery app. Ran that, everything fine. Entered HP Product S/N when prompted, Windows 10 installed without any incident.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.