Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Desktop TE01-0150tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to install reformatted HDD from Windows 7 dead computer to new Windows 10. Device manage sees HDD but "This PC/Control Panel" don't recognize so new computer doesn't assign new drive ID. Drivers are current, according to Device Manager. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Skip-Searcy 

Not clear on what you are trying to do ...

You removed a drive from a Win7 PC, reformatted it, and are now trying to add that as a second drive to a Win10 PC, right?

But when you boot the PC, you can see it in Device Manager, but otherwise can not access it?

But, it already has a drive letter and that is showing up in File Manager?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Computer has not assigned a drive letter to it. I can see it in device manager and my backup software, but cannot access it or view content. I know that it is installed properly, and was ever able to update drivers compatible with Windows 10. It does not show up in file manager.

HP Recommended

@Skip-Searcy 

OK, it won't show up in file manager until it is assigned a drive letter.

In the start area, enter "create and format" (without the quotes), and when options appear, select the one to create and format hard drive -- that will open Disk Management console.

Scroll down through the list of drives until you see your second drive.  Then, select the option to assign a drive letter.

When you then reboot, your File Manager will see the drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.