Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Touch Smart 300 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Left my computer alone for about 15-20 minutes only for it to turn black. Didn't think much about it until the next day when I tried turning it on only for the problem to happen. Can turn on and work normally if you press the home button on the computer but is very slow to work normally. Not sure if this is related to the case but a while back a disc got stuck inside and when it did work normally it always had me press F2 to continue to use it like normal. Not so sure who to ask or where to take it for repair. Won't take it to Geek Squad because I don't believe in paying for something that could turn out to be an easy fix. Thanks for all the help in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

By a stuck disc, do you mean a DVD?

Was it eventually removed?

First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

HP Recommended

No, the DVD was never removed. The computer also makes clicking noises when it manages to function slowly. 

HP Recommended

Hi

I would like to help, but....

Results for "HP Touch Smart 300 PC" (83)

with 83 possible matches to your model it is difficult.

Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type
msinfo32
Read Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

Would   --   PWR ON   --   ESC  --  F9  give an option to boot from the Hard Disk?

HP Recommended

Took apart the computer to clean and remove the DVD stuck in the optical drive. The fans are fine and so is the hard drive. Nothing really seems off. We did discover what looked to be a circular silver battery of sorts. Could that be the problem? 

HP Recommended

Hi

The silver coin cell, the size of an old two bob bit, is for the RTC/CMOS.

Real time clock, to maintain the Date and TIME whilst the PC is powered off.

CMOS is all the BIOS settings, like which boot device etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.