Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 570-p056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it better to use the Recovery Partition or download installation files via the Microsoft Media Creation Tool?

HP documentation seems to be all over the place about this. 

If I understand correctly, the Microsoft Media Creation Tool probably contains the latest Windows Updates, so I would not have to go through Windows Update after I install.  But to the best of my knowledge, I have an OEM install from HP.  Wouldn't I be required to purchase another license from Microsoft?

I also created an install USB using the HP Recovery Manager on Sept 19, 2020  Will this contain the latest Windows Updates?

When I purchased my computer in 2017, it got stuck trying to do Windows Update when I tried to Log On for the first time.  I had to call HP Tech Support.

HP Pavilion 570-p056
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 1703
Intel(R) Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Core(s),
12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
1TB HD SATA
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@HyeDeLKM 

Let me try to address your issues one by one ...

1) MS MCT -- does NOT necessarily contain the latest Windows version or updates.  MS updates this every once in a while. The current MCT is for Win10 v19041.450 -- while the current Win10 v20.04 build is 508  The previous build was 488.  So you see, the MCT is already two builds behind.  MS has no regular schedule for producing MCT versions, so we have no way of knowing when the next one will come out or what build it will be.

2) Windows reinstallation and update.  Since your PC is already running Win10, then it has been registered with MS.  Thus, if you reinstall Win10, once you go back online, your PC will contact MS, see that it is registered, and reactivate automatically.  Just be sure NOT to enter a product key when requested and skip over that step.

3) HP Recovery Manager -- this is nowhere near the current build or even, in some cases, the current version of Win10.  This uses the Recovery partition to create the USB and that was loaded when the PC was built, not when it was bought -- and this could be 9 months older or more.  Your HP recovery media is most likely to be Win10 v19.09 -- basically a year out of date.

4) Windows Updates -- if you get offered the May 2020 update do NOT, repeat NOT, accept that --as it still has issues and folks are continuing to report issues with it.  Win10 v20H2 will be out in a few weeks and that is likely to be a better solution.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you!
3) HP Recovery Manager:  My computer was built in May 2017.  So would a USB created via Recovery Manager be based on May 2017 with nothing else added?   It would be 3.5 years out of date.  LOL

When I purchased the PC in Oct 2017, it got stuck at Windows Update out of the box.

HP Pavilion 570-p056
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 1703
Intel(R) Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Core(s),
12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
1TB HD SATA
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.