Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP slim desktop 290
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two HP's. Both W10 64 bit.

The older one has a different W 10.0.183652  "build" 18362 ( HP p6-2330)

The new one:  W 10.0.19041 build 19401(slim desktop 290)

A: They are BOTH supposedly current with the latest updates. WHY the difference?

B: The older one does not have the Realtek Hi Def  Audio device hat the newer one has AND the old one (IDT) is gone.

Why cannot I transfer ALL my files, programs, etc etc to "duplicate" what I have on the new computer to the older one?

If so, HOW?

If not, can I find and download and install the Realtek Hi Def Audio onto the older  one as the IDT does not seem to be available, nor would I want it a it was giving me trouble.

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@braxx201 

You raise several different issues ...

The current build of  Win10 v1903 build 18362 is 1171 which came out on October 20th.

The current build of Win10 v2004 build 19041 is 610 which came out on October 29th.

They are different build numbers because they are different Windows 10 versions -- and one has been updated to 20.04 and the other has not.

The newer one has different drivers because it is a different Windows 10 version and each version generally comes with newer drivers.

You can NOT transfer the "entire PC" from one to another because that is not possible.  In this case, each PC is licenses for a specific Windows instance.  If you were to migrate it from one PC to another, when you rebooted the second PC, even if the transfer worked, it would deactivate itself due to a licensing violation, and you would NOT be able to reactivate it.

What you CAN do is copy your account(s), settings, user data, and most applications from one PC to another -- but you need special software to do that.  Since that software does not copy Windows, it does not present any licensing issues.

The two product are PC Mover Pro (by LapLink) and ToDo Data Transfer (by EaseUS).  I have used both and the second tends to be easier to use and work better than the first.  But while there are free versions of these, only the PAID version allows you to migrate applications.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@braxx201 

You raise several different issues ...

The current build of  Win10 v1903 build 18362 is 1171 which came out on October 20th.

The current build of Win10 v2004 build 19041 is 610 which came out on October 29th.

They are different build numbers because they are different Windows 10 versions -- and one has been updated to 20.04 and the other has not.

The newer one has different drivers because it is a different Windows 10 version and each version generally comes with newer drivers.

You can NOT transfer the "entire PC" from one to another because that is not possible.  In this case, each PC is licenses for a specific Windows instance.  If you were to migrate it from one PC to another, when you rebooted the second PC, even if the transfer worked, it would deactivate itself due to a licensing violation, and you would NOT be able to reactivate it.

What you CAN do is copy your account(s), settings, user data, and most applications from one PC to another -- but you need special software to do that.  Since that software does not copy Windows, it does not present any licensing issues.

The two product are PC Mover Pro (by LapLink) and ToDo Data Transfer (by EaseUS).  I have used both and the second tends to be easier to use and work better than the first.  But while there are free versions of these, only the PAID version allows you to migrate applications.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.