Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

Edits

OK - we crossed paths.  I was answering your previous post while you were posting new information.

Original content:

I cannot duplicate the issue you are experiencing and I do not have an explanation for your situation.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

System Restore > Explanation displays, click Next

View list...

Windows 10  64bit - V1903

System_Restore_List_Restore_PointsSystem_Restore_List_Restore_Points

If I think of anything else, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

You DO understand that System Restore recovers only the Operating System, not your personal data, right?

When Windows Update runs, it squirrels away the Windows OS components that are being updated, replaced, or deleted, including the Registry hives.  That collection of stuff is known as a Restore Point.

When you later run System Restore, all it does is overwrite the current OS components with the ones that it saved.

IF what you really want is a way to save off the current installation, so you could restore it later in the event of a filesystem corruption or malware infection, you would do much better looking into a third-party imaging product like Macrium Reflect.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood 

Interesting - I have been assuming, perhaps erroneously, that the member understands the difference between System Restore (using system or personally created Restore Points), System Recovery, and using a tool like Macrium Reflect (I have the free version of this installed).

Good catch.

We may hear back, though, for the subject at hand - and as thus far described - I am somewhat at a loss as to what else to offer in the "system restore" arena.  There are just so many "how-to" documents and methods to create / access / display Restore Points that do not cross over into the "weird and deep dive" methods of checking what the system is doing with Windows data.  Smiling.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, I am happy that everything seems to be ok and if there is a god in heaven, I will never have to restore, ha ha ha.  I will check accept as solution as you have been a big help to me.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

You are welcome.

I am glad the issue is resolved.

Happy Computing.

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur 

My own experience, especially with those folks that still waste their time with System Restore, is that most folks think that means Computer System Restore -- as in, restoring the entire PC, akin to an image restore.  They tend to think that System Restore is a kind of time machine that will reset their PC entirely to a point in the past.

So, they are shocked when they erase file, do a System Restore, and find the file is NOT restored.

Thus, I tend to lecture folks about it, so they if what they really want is image backup/restore, they know about a tool for doing that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.