Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
T4A20 AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This PC was purchased only 2 months ago. After inserting a DVD nothing happens. Any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi junosa

Has this been happening since purchase? All CD discs and DVD discs do not work? Your dvd drive does not support Blu Ray discs

Do you see the optical drive in Explorer and Device Manager?

Remove the side panel of your tower and check SATA and power cable connections. Check the optical drive SATA connection on the motherboard.

Contact HP for support.

Grzy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi junosa

Has this been happening since purchase? All CD discs and DVD discs do not work? Your dvd drive does not support Blu Ray discs

Do you see the optical drive in Explorer and Device Manager?

Remove the side panel of your tower and check SATA and power cable connections. Check the optical drive SATA connection on the motherboard.

Contact HP for support.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy, This PC does not seem to have Internet Explorer. It does have Microsoft Edge, OneDrive and file explorer.

When I click on explorer and then on OneDrive, a Roxio icon appears on the desktop making it possible to use the data DVD.

Should the DVD not be active as soon it is inserted in the DVD drive?

HP Recommended

Hi junosa

I was referring to File Explorer.

So you can read and write to CD or DVD discs? Is this correct. Can you open a disc with data or play a DVD movie?

Being active depends on how you have Windows Autoplay set to react when a disc, either blank or containing data, is inserted in the optical drive.

Did you check internal SATA and power connections? Do you see the optical drive in File Explorer or Device Manager?

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy, Yes, I can read and write to CD/DVD and can open a disc with data and play.

In File Explorer I see DVD RW (E)

I  did not see any loose connections.  Could you send me please a picture of the internal SATA location.

Looking forward to your advice.

HP Recommended

Hi junosa

No need to check internals if you can see the optical drive in Explorer and Device Manager.

What is the problem since you can read and write, and open a data drive such as a movie or music?

Your Autoplay settings can be adjusted to start a disc anyway you want.

Windows 7 Autoplay options are in Control Panel. Windows 10 Autoplay options are in Settings.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks. I went to settings, autoplay and selected autoplay for all mdia.

In related settings, clicked on default app. to settings. In "reset to microsoft defaults" I selected nr. 3 set default by app.

In windows media player, selected set as default.

Did I do ok so far. The DVD still does not start playing automatically. However, the Roxio icon appears on the desktop to

let me start it manually.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.