Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-007na (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The DVD drive in my HP Omen PC is working, but does not read DVD videos every time, so I was looking to update the DVD driver, can someone point me in the right direction to get the updated driver please. Windows is telling me it has the update driver but it is dated 2006! 

PearlKat_0-1676204028281.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

it may not be a problem of drivers, moreover we will find very rarely
try VLC

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.fr.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. However, I have tried VLC and 321 Media Player, no change. It seems to be the codecs that are the issue, so a new driver may or may not solve it, but having tried other software, I thought a new driver might help, especially since the one installed is dated 2006. I'll keep looking for a solution. I record to DVD on an external device to the PC and play the DVDs on the PC and it is this that is the main problem. I have been able to play CDs and DVDs from other sources bought commercially, without any issues.

HP Recommended

if it is a problem of dvd record, a driver will not change anything
either your DVDs are not supported by the player, or there is a problem with the recording system
At best, it's a drive firmware
to see if it corresponds to the model here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-870-000-desktop-pc-series/11084748/model...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, I'll certainly go back to HP Support and look at what Drivers are available. The DVD issue 

is  something that I will have to live with I think. At present it is hit and miss, and as you suggest, could be an issue with the recording device. I will have to look at a different method of recording than to DVD. Thanks once again for you assistance.

HP Recommended

You're welcome @PearlKat 
but in case,  check also, because in the end I don't know exactly what happens, when you try to read a burned dvd..
You indicate that DVDs and CDs, already commercially recorded, work...
it can also happen that the dvd itself is not supported by the cd player, you just have to change the brand / model

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.