Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I tried to play a DVD on my pc yesterday and got error "No Disk in Drive E".

Tried a different dvd, got the same thing.   Rebooted computer and tried again, got the same error.

Thought the device went bad, so got another one and just installed it.  

Tried to play a DVD on this one and I got the SAME error message!

I tried Cyberlink Video, Windows, and VLC media player.  NONE of them read anything in that drive.

Cyberlink states that it has all the current up dates.  Windows media player doesn't even show a drive e, and neither does VLC.

So.......WHATS WRONG???

This computer is only 2 years old.

I have a HP Envy.

Update:

I have tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting - no change.

I tried replacing the dvd player unit - no change.

The Device Manager does not have a "rollback" option.

Tried an external dvd player - same problem.

The properties on the driver show Error Code 39.

I looked this up online and followed the instructions on how to resolve that, which ends up in having to use the "rollback" feature, which is not an option.

I also used the Microsoft suggested troubleshooting feature, and all I get from that is this...

Some online info suggests this is a registry issue and to contact tech help.

So what now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here are some HP specific troubleshooting steps you can try: CD/DVD drive not Detected

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here are some HP specific troubleshooting steps you can try: CD/DVD drive not Detected

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Bios shows cd/dvd rom there.

Nothing else has worked.

Even did refresh, and still same problems 

HP Recommended

Thanks!!!!

Cleaning/deleting the registry items did the trick!

:catvery-happy:

HP Recommended

You're welcome! Glad I could help. :generic:

Thank you for marking my answer as the "Accepted Solution" so others with the same problem can more easily find an answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.