Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The problem started this morning. When checking my email I received a notice that I had to reboot my computer. I didn't notice who sent the message but I rebooted. That's when things started to go wrong. I noticed that all my icons were not showing on the left side of the screen. I tried to start Quicken and it started from scratch. That is it remembered nothing. I then contacted Norton to see if they could restart the backup I tried to do. As it turns out, they couldn't help because my computer was rebooted from scratch. That is, all information was lost. After trying to contact HP (a very nerve wracking couple of hours), I gave up and tried the community. All I get now is the blank screen when I try to get the computer to wake up by pushing the space key on the keyboard. The computer screen remains blank. I'm at my wits end as I can't do anything on my computer. Can you help?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@tex777 

First off, HP never sends people emails, and never calls people about PC issues.  This is a SCAM that is making the rounds and unfortunately, you became a victim of it.

Second, you said you only rebooted your PC, which in and of itself, should not have caused any issues.  But the fact it did, coupled with the SCAM email, implies that your PC has been invaded by malware -- which must have trashed some files so a simple reboot would no longer work.

You would basically need to reinstall Windows from scratch to get a working PC back.

First thing I would try is a Factory Reset -- which you access by pressing the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting, then when you get the HP Startup Menu, select the option to do the reset. IF it works, it should take no more than a couple of hours and when it is finished, you will be back in initial Setup mode.

IF that does not work, then I would try the HP Cloud Recovery option:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

If that does not  work, then you would need to do a Clean Install of Win10, as follows:

1) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2) Insert that into your PC, boot from it, and run through the installation. When you get the window asking for a product key, look down near the bottom of the window for the link you can click to skip that step.

3) When done (the PC may restart several times) and you boot into Windows and you get back online, it will contact the MS activation servers and automatically reactivate Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for responding to my message. First off, I didn't receive any emails telling me to restart my computer, or any other pertinent email messages. Second, I fixed the problem myself. By turning off the computer and restarting it manually, I was able to try again the System Reset I had originally tried. This time it worked and I have all my information back. Thanks again for answering my message.

William Ritter

Renton, WA 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.