Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop M01-F0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Motherboard: HP 8643 (AM4)

Graphics: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics (HP)

Start up drive is an SSD: 238GB Western Digital WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1006

I added a 4TB (3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 (SATA )) before ever turning on the computer. Single partition. Setup all the user folders on the data drive. I have done all the Windows system updates, as well as the recommended updates from the HP Support Assistant.

This setup worked fine for about 6 months (until June or July '20). The system began to freeze. At first it froze only after waking from sleep or hibernation. I deactivated sleep mode. I also turned off all the power-saving settings in the Device Manager. Now freezes "randomly," sometimes after startup or restart, or sitting for some time. System sometimes becomes sluggish for a few seconds before freezing. Sometime the blue ball spins when it is frozen.

Could this be a problem with spinning up the mechanical HD?. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are usually two causes when a PC randomly freezes.

1. Hardware. Start the PC. Tap "ESC", then select "F2".

Run system tests to check all hardware. Could be a bad drive, or memory, or some other hardware problem.

2. System file corruption. Check system health and system files by running W10 troubleshooting commands found at this site (Link). Run DISM then run a system file scan.

There is one other scenario when you have modified user settings. A W10 update to a newer version may cause corruption in this instance. I don't deploy user modifications (spreading user settings and program installations across two different drives) when building systems, so I have never dealt with this issue.

I normally use 1 TB or 2 TB NVME SSD system drives depending on user needs. Large games can be installed on the larger platter HDD. Spreading user file pointers across different drives may be problematic.

You may have to back up data and reinstall the operating system if the hardware is good and you find unrecoverable system file errors.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have run every possible diagnostic multiple times, including the BIOS ones, as well as sfc, dism, boot-time chkdsk, full scans with Malwarebytes. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.