Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Product: HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Refurbished PC Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

I have trouble booting up, and it buffers, sometimes endlessly.

So, I turn off and then back on with Esc, then I run diagnostics.

Fast tests = everything passes except >

"System Board Check: Device Not Found"

Could this be related to the slow start-ups and also the automatic scan and repair that runs quite often?

Would it have something to do with internet instability?

I let the "scan and repair" program run when it showed up at start-up not too long ago, and it took over 8 hours to finish. Still Diagnostics seem to pass all except System board Device Not Found. I ran UEFI also, but I haven't a clue what the other options on that start-up menu can do for me.

Also, computer constantly loses internet connection, several times a day.  I restart and sometimes it comes back on.  I replaced the Ethernet cord, and it worked for a longer period of time, however, I still think it is something other than a network problem.

I removed the last two Microsoft "updates" and so far today, the internet has been stable and didn't just drop off on its one. like it has been  ever since the two most recent updates.  Just FYI.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?  Thank you, in advance, for your time, trouble and for sharing your knowledge.

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @TY965 

The last supported windows version for your HP Compaq Elite 8300 is Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Update to higher windows versions does not guarantee stability as you noted !

Official drivers page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-microtower-pc/5232859

You go back to Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to have a stable system or buy a newer desktop with support for Windows 10 (64-bit) and/or Windows 11 (64-bit).

That's all I can recommend.

Please report your results.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the YES button on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply 'Accept as Solution'.

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655753535686.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @TY965 

The last supported windows version for your HP Compaq Elite 8300 is Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Update to higher windows versions does not guarantee stability as you noted !

Official drivers page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-microtower-pc/5232859

You go back to Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to have a stable system or buy a newer desktop with support for Windows 10 (64-bit) and/or Windows 11 (64-bit).

That's all I can recommend.

Please report your results.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the YES button on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply 'Accept as Solution'.

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655753535686.png

HP Recommended

PC came with a Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade.  I bought the refurbished desktop that way. 

I am able to "get-by" with little "workarounds" that I have figured out over time, like restarting PC a lot and I also uninstalled two recent updates.    Seems to be running better.

I had already decided to get a straight-up Windows 10 OS, though I would have loved to have gone back to a straight (not curly) (pun) Windows 7 OS.

I don't see any REAL improvement in these constant upgrades, and we have been warned about the backdoors installed to secretly surveil all activity.  I believe there to be advanced technology within that we just have could not even conceptualize.  Laugh all you want.  I know a lot more about those things than I do about computer tech.

Thank you for your time and information, Ub6424.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

What you see is what you get

You get what you don't see

Good luck @TY965 

best regards

---

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655757157809.png

HP Recommended

When I click your link for Drivers, HP either can't find my computer drivers or it sometimes takes me to Windows 7 only articles, manuals, drivers, page.

I am sure that you are correct. 

I am supposed to receive another refurbished desktop today, with Windows 10 only.

Perhaps I should have looked for one with Windows 8.1?  I don't like having to learn new operating systems.

I'm getting older and so is my short term memory.

They offered lifetime support and a 1 year warranty, but who knows how much that is really worth?

I often ask myself if I would be better off just buying a new one?

My biggest gripe, is the higher the OS, the more intrusive Microsoft becomes. 

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Hi @TY965 

URL: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-microtower-pc/5232859

Forget/Abort Detecting operating system -> Click Choose a different OS

best regards

---

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655757494949.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.