Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 is showing 3 Optional ‘Driver updates’ related to my HP EliteDesk 705 G5 Desktop Mini PC but HP Support Assistant (HPSA) reports “You’re up to date”.

Q1 - I suspect that these Windows updates are Windows generic type so do I ignore them?

Q2 – Do I always ignore HP related driver updates for my HP PC and only install those found by HPSA?

Optional Updates.pngHP Up-to-Date.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wiganken 

To answer your question about problems -- yes -- I have had issues both with MS forcing driver updates onto my PC and with my making the mistake of installing optional updates.

As to the first, if you have not done this already, follow the instructions here to disable MS forced driver updates:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

I kept getting this AMD driver update over and over again, and each time, it failed -- so I did this to stop getting annoyed by it.

As to the second, MS has changed the landscape of Optional Update so that NOW, you can hurt yourself by applying them.  These used to be new features that you could try and if they did not work out well, or if you did not like them, you would go into Windows Updates, remove the update, and you would be OK.

But more recently, these have been  PREVIEWS of new features and fixes and when you installed them, you not only LOCKED your PC into that build and version, you could also NOT go into Windows Update and then remove the update!!  So when the recent Optional Update for build 19042.906 came out, I ignored it and yesterday, being the Official Patch Tuesday, I downloaded and installed the NON-Preview version, build 928, and it's working fine.

So, my advice is to read the details of any Optional update carefully before selecting it.  If it is something that can wait for Patch Tuesday, then leave it alone.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would stick with HP drivers unless you are having a problem.

Don't fix what is not broke.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you. That's what I thought and I have avoided Windows versions of updates for my HP PC since I bought it in mid-January 2021.

I was just wondering if anyone had tales of woe to tell after installing HP related Windows updates in order to reinforce the "Avoid Windows versions of updates for HP machines" principle.

HP Recommended

Hello
from what I saw
Updates hp inc softwareComponent, no precise information, but does not seem to be offered in hp drivers from hp support or from the hp site ..
But no problem after installing several of them at home
on the other hand I strongly advise against Firmware, no information, sometimes it corresponds to the bios, but it is not without risk!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Wiganken 

To answer your question about problems -- yes -- I have had issues both with MS forcing driver updates onto my PC and with my making the mistake of installing optional updates.

As to the first, if you have not done this already, follow the instructions here to disable MS forced driver updates:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

I kept getting this AMD driver update over and over again, and each time, it failed -- so I did this to stop getting annoyed by it.

As to the second, MS has changed the landscape of Optional Update so that NOW, you can hurt yourself by applying them.  These used to be new features that you could try and if they did not work out well, or if you did not like them, you would go into Windows Updates, remove the update, and you would be OK.

But more recently, these have been  PREVIEWS of new features and fixes and when you installed them, you not only LOCKED your PC into that build and version, you could also NOT go into Windows Update and then remove the update!!  So when the recent Optional Update for build 19042.906 came out, I ignored it and yesterday, being the Official Patch Tuesday, I downloaded and installed the NON-Preview version, build 928, and it's working fine.

So, my advice is to read the details of any Optional update carefully before selecting it.  If it is something that can wait for Patch Tuesday, then leave it alone.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood - Thank you and especially the tenforums link which I used to disable Windows driver updates. The HP drivers are no longer showing (which is good) in the 'Optional' updates and I now see red text "*Some settings are managed by your organisation" which is to be expected I suppose since I have changed the policies.

So I reckon that should fix it for me. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.