Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP EliteDesk 705 G1 comes with Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro. Which type of Windows 7 Pro ISO/media will I need to use  - the retail or volume version?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't understand what key you you retrieved from your PC.

If you retrieved the W8.1 Pro product key from the PC, that won't work on W7.

If you already have W7 on the PC and want to reinstall it, and retrieved the preactivated W7 Volume License Key (VLK) from the HP W7 factory installation, that won't work either, unless you used that Windows Activation Backup and Restore utility referenced in the link you posted.

I think you can use either media to reinstall W7.

I have used W7 Pro OEM keys on a retail W7 Pro ISO file and they worked with no problem.

I don't even know where you can get a W7 pro volume license disk.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I am curious as to why you want to downgrade.

Microsoft will terminate all support for Windows 7 in January 2020 -- less than 2 years away.

At that time, you will need to backup your personal files, inventory your installed applications, reinstall Windows 8, reload your personal files, and reinstall your applications. That is setting yourself up for a lot of work.

In addition, I am finding main-stream web-sites that state that they are not compatible with Internet Explorer 11 running under Windows 7. Their web-developers are jumping the gun, I think.

Some people on this forum claim that your Windows product-key can be used to install Windows 10, at no additional cost.

Free download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to "upgrade" your system.

HP Recommended

I'm interested in downgrading to Windows 7 for testing purposes, and I'm interested in finding out which type of Win 7 Pro disc I'll need to procure (Retail or Volume).

HP Recommended

Hi, @kennethi

You will have to contact HP to order a set of W7 recovery disks for your PC that will work without a W7 Pro product key.

If you use a non-HP W7 installation disk, then you will need to supply a W7 Pro product key, which HP will not give you.

W7 downgrades are done at the factory, so there is no W7 product key supplied with the PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen, I did contact HP Support, the agent stated that there were no Windows 7 recovery discs available for my model - only Windows 8 discs.

Whatever that case might be, I followed these instructions, so I was able to retrieve the key: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Downgrade-rights/m-p/3112929/highlight/tru... .

Now I'm just wondering which disc version I need: Retail or Volume.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't understand what key you you retrieved from your PC.

If you retrieved the W8.1 Pro product key from the PC, that won't work on W7.

If you already have W7 on the PC and want to reinstall it, and retrieved the preactivated W7 Volume License Key (VLK) from the HP W7 factory installation, that won't work either, unless you used that Windows Activation Backup and Restore utility referenced in the link you posted.

I think you can use either media to reinstall W7.

I have used W7 Pro OEM keys on a retail W7 Pro ISO file and they worked with no problem.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen@  wrote:

See: https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/

for the Microsoft Volume Licensing Center, once you have purchased a volume license.

HP Recommended

Yes, but that would cost a person a small fortune to buy the volume license based on the number of licences desired, and I believe there is a minimum amount of 250 licenses.

Te OP wants to (re)install W7 for free due to the downgrade rights entitlement, so buying any license just to get the installation media would defeat the purpose, would it not?

HP Recommended

Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen, I will try the Retail version.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if you were able to get W7 Pro to work using the key you retrieved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.