Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The partition E:HPTools is showing as nearly full.  I've looked on it and it is showing 0 for all files and folders (including hidden files) yet it shows it is full.  I have not saved anything to this drive but I did upgrade my audio drivers from the HP website a couple of days ago.  Can you help as my PC looks ready to crash.,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@milo1444 

The HP_TOOLS partition is a very small partition created to hold a few HP utilities.  It might not show the contents because it's not formatted like the other partitions and you really aren't supposed to be accessing it.

Are you getting an error message automatically about this? If so, check where you are saving files because if you are writing to it, that can cause some issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.  I have checked that my Windows backup isn't writing to this partition.  If anything is writing to it I'm not sure how I can check that.  I suppose a programme may be automatically writing something to it but I have no idea which one and why i should have suddenly started doing that.  Thanks for your help.   Rosa

HP Recommended

@milo1444 

You should check the Browsers you are using to see where they stored files by  default -- they might be writing to that partition and that will cause problems.

HP Recommended

Hi,  Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I've checked that the browsers aren't writing to my e: drive.  I can't find anything that is but am not savvy enough to know if I've checked thoroughly.  Downloads are automatically saved to my c: drive and I can't find anything else.  I'm afriad that the problem still exists and am stuck with what to do about it.  I may have to get someone in who knows more than I do (I did work in IT but that was quite some years ago and - yes I do realise a little knowledge can be a very dangeous thing so I don't want to mess around too much).  Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

@milo1444 

I asked if you were getting error messages about this and I don't think you answered.

HP Recommended

Hi,  yes I am getting a notification message from Windows telling my that e: drive is full and do I want to clean it up.  When I choose this option the disk Cleanup shows nil files to  clean up.

HP Recommended

Hi,  Just an update.  I was recommended to look at Windows 10 support site and I think I've solved the problem.  The advice I read was the following:-

Type diskpart in Windows Start Search box> Right click on Diskpart and run as adminstrator.

Give following command and Enter:

select volume e

Give following command and Enter:

remove letter=e

The E; drive has now disappeared and I'm not getting any more notifications.  Hopefully that will be it.

Thanks so much for your advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.