Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G4 Mini
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Elitedesk 800 G4 Mini had been suffering  (well reported) problems after the  August 30th  2019 W10 update, so I attempted to roll back to the restore point that the WIndows updater created updating.  I left the restore progressing , but when I returned three hours later, the screen message indicated that the registry was still being restored - which worried me. Shortly after, the blue background turned black and it looked like the machine was trying to restart - spinning circle and HP Clicksure logo appeared, but then a loop started between black screen and clickshare logo/spinning circle endlessly. I eventually powered down by holding the power button for > 10 seconds, but trying to restart just got back into the same loop. I haven't had time to try anything else - but what should I try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to reinstall W10.

Use the cloud recovery client to create the bootable recovery media.

This package provides the Cloud Recovery Client for supported models running a supported operating system. This Client Utility enables users to download the Recovery Kit from the cloud.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85001-85500/sp85318.exe

I have attached the instructions to us the cloud recovery client utility below.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to reinstall W10.

Use the cloud recovery client to create the bootable recovery media.

This package provides the Cloud Recovery Client for supported models running a supported operating system. This Client Utility enables users to download the Recovery Kit from the cloud.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85001-85500/sp85318.exe

I have attached the instructions to us the cloud recovery client utility below.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul - that wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, but was the one I suspected I'd get. I did try a few repair and restore point options after pressing F11 whilst booting, but ultimately had to restore Windows (through the same F11 route) retaining my data. I did lose a few weeks worth of emails (my bad for not backing up as frequently as I should and had I thought a bit more, I probably could have rescued my Thunderbird profile and emails by copying to USB via the command prompt), but I can live with that relatively minor pain. At least my system is up and running.

Annoyed at Microsoft and HP though - neither an OS upgrade nor a restore point attempt should cause such carnage. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Apologies for resurrecting my own thread, but I'm still having problems. My PC mostly works fine now, except for two issues:

1. Bluetooth doesn't work anymore. The bluetooth icon appears on the task bar and I can attempt to connect BT devices through settings, but they are never found. The BT troubleshooter makes changes (turning on the BT radio) but it doesn't help.

2. The start menu and search seem to sporadically stop responding after a while. It's generally ok after a restart, but the longer the PC runs, the more likely they are to stop working.

I've installed several updates, but nothing seems to fix things. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

What model wifi adapter does your PC have?

Is the same model Bluetooth driver installed for the model wifi adapter it has?

If not, install the Bluetooth driver listed on your PC's support page.

If so, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that issue, and I wouldn't know what to do about the second one either.

I suggest that you start a new topic on those problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul - the radio options are those installed at the factory and the correct drivers appear to be installed. I'll start a new topic as you suggest.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.