Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Every update wipes my computer

HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time my computer does an update it wipes it like its brand new. All favorites and app downloads disappear, and "saved" passwords are no longer saved. I have to re install apps. Anything on Word not backed up to an outside source is also erased. I've had the computer a year it is started doing this four months ago. All my term papers are gone. It will no longer let me connect my email to the email icon. I'm ready to ditch this thing and buy a new computer. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
5,996 5,982 564 1,257
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Every update wipes my computer

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This is very unusual behavior for an update. I don't think HP Support Assistant (HPSA) does clean operating system (OS) installations. HPSA updates software (drivers or applications) and may provide an occasional BIOS update.

Windows Update may update the operating system version in addition to security updates, Failed updates usually result in blue or black screen errors or the PC rolls back to the previous version. Successful updates allow the user to continue as if nothing had changed.

It sounds like your PC is doing a Windows Reset or a Windows Fresh start.

You must determine what is happening before you can stop this behavior.

I have never had HPSA or Windows Update: remove personal files or applications and settings causing the user to rebuild the system as if a clean installation of Windows had been done.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation