Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim S01-pF1025se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to disable the F1-F12 keys in the BIOS but there is no such option under the configuration tab, and yes I know it is there because I have an HP Stream and I was able to disable it on there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I need to be able to click F1-F12 without the FN key.

Purchase and use a "gaming" keyboard that lacks the FN key. On such keyboards, pressing the key does what you want.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@epicgamer99 

There's a key difference here you are missing.  The Stream is a laptop and in that case, the BIOS has access to all the hardware components -- including the keyboard.  But your PC is a desktop, and that does not have BIOS access to the keyboard if that keyboard is connecting through USB port or WiFi.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Is that saying there is NO way to disable Action keys mode in the BIOS?

HP Recommended

Some keyboards have a FN LOCK button, to "lock" the F1-F12 keys into the mode that you desire.

HP Recommended

My keyboard does not have an FN lock

HP Recommended

My keyboard does not have an FN lock.

Did you mean that your CURRENT keyboard does not have that key?

Do you have any "big box" consumer electronics store near you, to enable you to purchase a keyboard that DOES have that key?

HP Recommended

My current keyboard that came with the computer doesn't have FN lock. Is there any suggestions of keyboards that I could buy with FN lock?

HP Recommended

@epicgamer99 

My guess is that you want an FN lock function because you want to be able to press a Function key by itself, without having to press the Fn key as well, right?

The full-size external keyboards don't have Fn Lock keys because they don't need them.  Their function keys only have a single function and don't require the additional use of an Fn key.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes I need to be able to click F1-F12 without the FN key.

HP Recommended

I need to be able to click F1-F12 without the FN key.

Purchase and use a "gaming" keyboard that lacks the FN key. On such keyboards, pressing the key does what you want.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.