Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Normally, reverting to Factory New does not REALLY return your system to OOBE configuration.  What it does is fine, but I would like to have the capability to return my computer to how it was before I even opened the box.  That will entail cloning the factory installed boot drive BEFORE it is used for First Boot.  Can that be done successfully?  I have a second computer with all the necessary hardware and software for SSD cloning, but have never explored what is on the boot drive BEFORE it is used to install Windows.  Is it a .iso file?  Is it an autorun .exe file?  Mayhaps it is something I am unfamiliar with.  What I really want to know is can the cloning of a new computer factory new boot drive that has never been used be successfully accomplished?   I am going to wait for answers before I plug the new computer in.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

UncleTime

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
I think I understand what you want to do.
but i have a doubt
When you open the computer, for the first time, it has been pre-installed, and you must arrive directly at the installation, from memory, it is also not a complete installation, as if using a windows dvd for example
But I find that what you want is useless, of little interest!
Better to have started the installation, and do the image, disk, only after having already opened the system
Check that everything works, make some updates, and why not one or two most used programs
This allows you not to have to go through long unnecessary steps
Now in theory, I imagine copying the disk before use might work..
only in case of problem, you will have nothing more, you will be able to loop with a non-functional system
In any case, I advise you to try both.
and also if possible with your machine to create the recovery kit, or to download the kit, if cloud recovery compatible!

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

Hello

[start]This is an automatic response

i need the exact model of your computer, and the product number
To find it follow this
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

Give the full name with the product number P / N

this is not a model:
HP Desktop M01-F1xxx
the requested product number must look like this
Product Number: 9EE50AA # ABA
the model corresponding to this number will therefore be
HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée had number of good points.  There are good reasons to clone a drive as explained by PC Magazine here

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive

IMHO paid software such as Acronis can normally clone any drive including all partition even with minor drive errors.  The only exception I have found was cloning a Mac drive using my Windows licensed Acronis. 

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@UncleTimeToo 

" I have a second computer with all the necessary hardware and software for SSD cloning, but have never explored what is on the boot drive BEFORE it is used to install Windows. Is it a .iso file? Is it an autorun .exe file? "

I did not answer this specific question, because I did not have the opportunity to check how, this is configured the first time exactly
all I know is that HP computers, like many assembled computers, have a recovery partition

it is not usable alone in general
But I don't know if it is used, for the first start I guess so..
But it is not a simple iso or autorun file in any case!

explorer.png

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736755

this has changed with the different windows versions, but an example preview here

If you can do it, I'm curious, to see how it is before starting!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.