Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

So I have an Omen prebuilt, selling it to a friend. I put the system in a new corsair case, added more storage, and added liquid cooling and more case fans. Will factory reset be an issue for me?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @mdepa 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

A HP Cloud Recovery should work. I interpret a factory reset to mean reinstalling the HP factory OS image.

You really should do a HP factory reset with no modifications using only a mouse, keyboard, and monitor for the best results.

The Corsair case should not affect this unless the case requires RGB software.. More fans and storage should not cause a problem.

I would remove any additional data drive upgrades but a larger system drive should be okay.

The liquid cooling upgrade could cause a problem if you installed software to control the pump, fan speeds, and ARGB stuff.

You could also try a Windows reset if you plan on leaving the component upgrades in the Corsair case.

Regards

HP Recommended

To answer your question -- probably YES. Why? Because a factory reset only FORMATS a drive; it does not actually remove the files from it.  Anyone willing to spend $50 USD can buy a data recovery app that will recover virtually everything on the drive -- including any personal or sensitive information you have saved.

You best bet is to actually replace the drive and use the HP Cloud Recovery tool to reinstall Windows onto it.  That way, the new owner will have a clean install with none of your data on the drive:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Windows and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

You will need a working PC and a 32GB USB stick to hold the recovery files. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtXOU40vxk

You use the Microsoft Store to download the actual tool:

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9mtks9pr7r3n?rtc=1&hl=en-us&gl=us

If you use a different PC to run the tool, you will have to provide your PC's product number. Here is an HP link for finding that information:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2039298-1862169-16

Here's a video from HP Support about using the Cloud Recovery Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7AwuKNJKS4

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Watch this video to know how to recover your computer using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool. We will set up a recovery image on a USB flash drive using the tool and get your computer back up and running easily. Chapters: 00:00 Introduction 00:16 What you will need 01:19 Start recovery process 04:16 ...
HP Recommended

I appreciate the help. The original ssd the pc came with was never altered. I added a hdd and ssd years ago along with the case swap and cpu cooler. The cooler and extra fans are rigged up in a way using connection splitters because the board is a micro atx and didn’t have enough connection spots. I never installed a fan controller because the system never recognized the upgraded corsair cooler, so it still believes it’s the original fan cooler. I did all this work 4 years ago with the help of a friend. I’ve never ran into issues for the 4 years I’ve had it even with my unconventional modification methods. My main concern is that when I factory reset the system through windows (which wiles all system files and reinstalls the windows os), it will forget about any windows terminal or bios changes my friend may have made. I might just play it safe and delete all my files and remove my Microsoft account, and just sell it to my friend like that. 

HP Recommended

Factory Reset does not WIPE the files -- and anything that says is does is not telling the truth.  If it DID, I would not be warning folks about using it to prepare a machine for selling or giving away. It only REFORMATS the drive, and that does not actually REMOVE the files, as does WIPING.

Also, Deleting your files does not REMOVE them, it only ERASES them -- and that is no different than formatting, as it does not actually remove the data, it only marks it for reuse by Windows.  Your files and account info are all STILL on the drive.  Only WIPING (also known as Secure Erase) actually removes the data.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.